Fraud Case Against Former Minister Sbu Ndebele Postponed


The case against former transport minister Sbu Ndebele, who is facing fraud and money laundering charges has been postponed to March 30, 2017.

Ndebele, a former SA ambassador to Australia, appeared before the Commercial Crimes Court in Pretoria on Thursday to answer to charges of corruption.

Read Also: ANC Bigwig, Ndebele Recalled Over Corruption Charges

The former diplomat also faces over 10 other charges. In December 2015, he was indicted for allegedly receiving R10-million from companies linked to Tasima (a company managing the electronic National Traffic Information System) through his Investec Bank account in 2010.

Tasima paid the money to Ndabele  for an extension of its more than R2-billion eNaTIS contract while he was South Africa’s transport minister.

Former Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele quietly resigned in October after much pressure from opposition groups. The Transport department confirmed that the former minister left Canberra, the Australian capital, as a result of an indictment in his long-running court case.

BuzzSouthAfrica gathered that the defence and the state agreed to postpone the case to next year so that Ndebele could join his four co-accused in the Pretoria Regional Court – where they will make their next court appearance.

Another reason was because one of the accused, Thwala, had submitted a request to change his attorney and was still awaiting a response from the National Prosecuting Authority.

The co-accused in the matter are former Director General of the Transport Department George Mahlalela, Zakhele Thwala, Sibusiso Justin Ncube, and Tebogo Mphuti. The quartet is currently out on R10,000 bail each.

In a related story, the Constitutional Court on November 9, ordered that SA’s Electronic National Traffic Information System (eNatis) management be returned to the government from private operator Tasima by the end of the year.

Check Out: ANC Top Member And SA High Commissioner Resigns

This development was announced after the court found that a five-year extension won by Tasima to run the system from 2010. Tasima is owned by Thuthukani Information Technology Services – which is jointly owned by technology entrepreneurs Fannie Mahlangu and Zuko Vabaza.