The names of the five men accused of assaulting a black couple – Jacob Sono and Dudu Sono at a KFC drive-through in Montana, in Pretoria have been made known.
They are Stephan Nel, 39, Marius Harding, 23, DJ van Rooyen, 21, Ockert Muller, 20, and Joshua Scholtz, 21.
Last week, the five allegedly attacked Jacob, 39, and his wife, 33, who were behind them in a queue.
The men, who were driving in two separate cars had ordered and were supposed to fetch their food at the next window. They, however, resorted to attacking the couple after Jacob and his wife asked them to move their car forward in the drive-through.
A video of the couple being attacked sparked anger after it went viral on social media last Friday. It also prompted Police Minister Fikile Mbalula to request an urgent investigation.
In the video, the men were heard swearing at the couple. One of them was heard shouting “skiet hom (shoot him)”.
Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele affirmed that the couple was intimidated with a firearm during the attack.
On Thursday, the men appeared in the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court.
The men, who are facing charges of attempted murder, assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm and pointing a firearm, told the court that Jacob Sono and his wife were the aggressors.
During the bail hearing, one of the accused, Van Rooyen, claimed in an affidavit read through his representative JC Erasmus, that the couple attacked him first while he was waiting for his food.
In addition, he told the court that he was arrested after he drove to the Sinoville police station to open a case against the couple.
Schultz’s lawyer Francois Kriel told the court that his client was not the aggressor in the situation and have no history of violent behaviour.
“I respectfully aver that I do not have a disposition to violence or that there is any past evidence of such a disposition to violence. As my evidence will show at trial, I was not the aggressor in the situation,” Kriel read from his affidavit.
Nel’s lawyer JJ Bornman said his client had suffered many medical conditions, including a mild heart attack when he was 30.
The 4th suspect Harding was said to have abandoned his bid for bail, as he has an outstanding warrant for arrest for theft. The 5th Muller was granted bail earlier this week.
The court heard that the men did not know each other and did not act as one group.
State Prosecutor Ronnie Sibanda told the court not to grant Van Rooyen, Schultz’ and Nel bail due to public outrage and the perception that the assault was racially motivated.
Magistrate Motlhoki Rapulana postponed the bail application to August 18.
Jacob Sono and his wife are currently receiving trauma counselling following the attack.
While the men were applying for bail on Thursday, a second video filmed after the incident emerged on social media. The video was recorded by one of the accused.
In the new video, a woman believed to be one of the complainants in the case was saying: “It is not supposed to be like this” while a man in a red jacket, pointed at one of the accused and said: “You started this. You started this.”