Applying for your NaTIS (now eNaTIS) driver’s license used to be such a big deal. One of the reasons for that is that you had to stand in long queues while waiting for your turn to be attended to. What is usually more annoying is when you are finally ready to be attended to, and you are told that you don’t have the complete documents – probably because you forgot a document – so you would have to repeat the process another day.
Realizing what a burden this is on drivers, both private, corporate, and commercial alike, the government has taken steps to lighten the burden, and the narrative is changing for the better. Today, it is now possible for Gauteng residents to book their license applications online with eNaTIS before going to the office. However, the process is not entirely hitch-free as it is still a work in progress.
Although there are still some glitches associated with the eNaTIS driver’s license online booking process, the fact remains that it is a welcomed development and can only get better. Besides that, other South African residents can renew their license online from the comfort of their homes or even at some selected malls – using platforms like Renew Online, Easy Renew, etc.
NaTIS Has Been Upgraded To A Digital Portal – eNaTIS
NaTIS is an acronym that stands for National Traffic Information System. It is a national register and a law enforcement tool that was created to help the South Africa National Department of Transport improve transportation infrastructure in the country as NaTIS serves as a register, store of assets, and a tool used to enforce all rules of regulations of National Road Traffic Regulations and National Road Traffic Act.
NaTIS is responsible for the registration and licensing of drivers and vehicles in the country. It also helps to keep records for the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) to ensure all registered vehicles meet the necessary standards. NaTIS also helps to prevent fraudulent vehicle registration and other irregularities.
Sadly, all of these responsibilities the NaTIS was saddled with were painstakingly done manually, making it a tedious task while also creating room for errors. So to improve their services, the name was changed to eNaTIS, and this change of name also translated to a change in the methods of operations. Instead of manually doing everything, technology was introduced and is now used to make their services easier and more accurate.
What Can Be Done On eNaTIS And How Is It Better Than NaTIS?
The introduction of the eNATIS driver’s license scheme was intended to digitalize most, if not all, the functions of NaTIS by giving South Africans an online portal where most of their licensing needs will be handled – and to lessen the human traffic at NaTIS offices. Even though that intention is grinding slowly (but surely), here are some of the things that you can do on eNaTIS that makes it better than NaTIS:
- You can handle the registration of your vehicles online.
- You can handle the booking of your driver’s license online.
- The renewal of your driver’s license can also be done online.
- With the use of the FingerPrint system, identity fraud can now be eliminated with ease.
- eNaTIS provides updates to users about current fraudulent practices going on in the automobile industry.
- Users can assess road traffic service via ATMs and the internet.
- All traffic infringement and fines are recorded using the eNaTIS database.
- Implementation of electronic tagging of documents to help detect fraudulent driver’s license, vehicle license, or registration certificate.
How Do I Book an eNaTIS Learner’s Driver’s License Online?
Firstly, it is important to note that as of this writing, only residents of Gauteng can book their driver’s license application online through eNaTIS. After booking, they will still have to visit a Driving Licensing Testing Centre (DLTC). Other South African residents can go to the DLTC to book a date. Here is how to go about the entire process:
- Visit the eNaTIS application website.
- Navigate through the site to find the learner’s driver’s license application section.
- Enter all required details.
- Follow the prompts to request an OTP.
- Enter the OTP and complete the booking process.
Based on some of the complaints from those who have made efforts to booking a driver’s license application online, here are some tips that may be helpful to you:
- Visit the site on Monday morning.
- Do not visit with your phone as the site is not responsive to mobile phones. It is preferable to use a desktop PC or laptop.
- When required to enter an email address or mobile number where your OTP will be sent, don’t enter both, either an email address or a phone number.
The learner’s driver’s license is only valid for a period of 24 months, and using it requires that you will be supervised by a professional driver when driving.
After Booking For Learner’s Driver’s License Application Online, What Should I Do Next?
The online application for the learner’s driver’s license is only a first step. For now, the application process cannot be completed on the eNaTIS website. The full application process can only be completed offline – at a driving licensing testing center. After booking online, here is what you should do:
- Go to the driving licensing testing center (DLTC) that is closest to you to confirm the booking and to book a test date.
- At the DLTC, you will be given a learner’s license form (LL1), which you must complete.
- Those who are 65 years old and above will also complete a medical certificate at the DLTC.
- Submit the form at an eye testing center, where you will also be made have an eye test conducted by a qualified optometrist.
- Before writing the learner’s license test, familiarize yourself with motor vehicle controls, road rules, and traffic rules.
- On the day of the test, go with your
- Identification card; and
- Booking receipt
What Documents Do I Need To Apply For A Learner’s Driver’s License?
The need to know what documents are required to process your learner’s driver’s license cannot be over-emphasized. To avoid a situation where you would be sent back for a document or two, you should go to the DLTC with all the required documents. Here is a detailed list of all the documents you will need for the application process:
- Identity card or anything that identifies you.
- Two identical black and white passport photographs.
- Residence and postal address proof, like your utility bill. If the apartment does not belong to you, then you will have to attach an affidavit showing that you live there to your utility bill. If you stay in an informal location, then provide a letter stamped by your ward councilor to serve as your proof of residence and postal address.
- Booking fee
How Long Does It Take To Get The Learner’s Driver’s License And How Much Does It Cost?
The length of time it may take you to get a learner’s driver’s license will depend on how fast you go to the DLTC and your test date. Because a learner’s driver’s license is issued the same day, you take the test – if you pass.
Also, if you pass the test, then you will have to pay a license issuance fee. This fee will be communicated to you by your local licensing office.
How Do I Renew My Driver’s License In South Africa?
You can either renew your driver’s license online or offline, depending on what works best for you. The offline application process requires that you visit a DTLC with the following documents:
- Identity document or anything that identifies you.
- Old driving license.
- Four black and white passport photographs.
- Proof of residence.
- Application fee.
When you have all these documents ready, here is what to do:
- Visit the nearest DLTC.
- Complete the renewal of driving license form: form DL1.
- Complete the notification change of address or particulars of person or organization form.
- Conduct an eye test with an optometrist of your choice and take the result back to DLTC.
Residents of Gauteng should book a renewal application online at the eNaTIS website. Also, the cost of renewal will be communicated to you by your local licensing office.
How To Renew Your Driver’s License Online
With the help of Renew Online and some other websites and platforms of the like, it is now possible to renew your driving license from the comfort of your home. Here is how the process works:
- Visit the Renew Online website.
- If you already have an account, then log in with your email address and password.
- For those who do not have an account, click on the ‘Register Now’ text.
- Enter a username, your email address, and create a password.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Tap the ‘OK’ button on the box that will pop up on your screen.
- If you are renewing your driving license for a company, click on the ‘Company Box.’
- Click on login, and enter your username and password.
- Complete your user profile and click on ‘Save.’
- On the left sidebar, click on the ‘Vehicle’ tab.
- Click on ‘Add Vehicle.’
- A form will be displayed on your screen; fill the form and click on ‘Save.’
- At the left sidebar, click on ‘Renew my License.’
- Tick the ‘Select’ box.
- Click on the red ‘Renew.’
- Complete the form that pops up and click on ‘Continue.’
- The renewal price will be displayed on your screen.
- If you wish to cancel the process, click on ‘Cancel Renewal.’
- If you wish to proceed with making payments, then pay via EFT or Sagepay.
- Immediately your payment is confirmed, the renewal process will begin.
- In 72 hours, barring any irregularities with the process or information you supplied, the renewal would be complete.
- Once the renewal is complete, a new license disc will be delivered to you.
If renewing your driver’s license online is a big ask for you, it is still possible to renew your driving license at malls like Pick n Pay, PostNet outlets, Safari Outdoor branches, Family Pet Centre.
How Do I Renew My Driver’s License From Outside South Africa?
Normally, the thing to do would be to apply for the Credit Card Format (CCF) driver’s license if you are not in South Africa. However, the service is not available as of the time of this writing. This means the only option you have is doing so at a driving license testing center. If your driver’s license needs to be renewed and you are outside South Africa, here is what you should do:
- Fill the DL1 application form.
- Provide your ID.
- Provide four copies of passport photographs.
Since you may not be able to visit a DLTC yourself, you can send someone – a representative – to go on your behalf. Your representative should go with the following:
- His/her identity document or any means of identification.
- An affidavit stating why you cannot come in person and that you have permitted them to act on your behalf.
- Your own documents – those that have been listed above.
The renewal fee will be communicated to you by the local licensing office.
How You Can Renew Your Driver’s License If You Don’t Want To Do It Online
If you do not buy the idea of renewing your license online, here is a list of other places you can go to get it done:
- Driving Licensing Testing Centre (DLTC)
- South African Post Office (SAPO)
- Any Pick ‘n Pay outlet
- Safari Outdoor branches
- Family Pet Center
How To Check Outstanding Vehicle License Fees Online In South Africa
All vehicle owners in South Africa are expected to renew their vehicle license every year before it expires. Before fees start accumulating for you, you will be given a 21 days grace period, after which 10% of your renewal fees will continue to add to your outstanding fees every month.
As of this writing, you cannot check outstanding vehicle license fees online in South Africa. The only way to do that is to visit the licensing office to check your fee and make payment except for residents of Gauteng and Free State who can contact ‘chatback’ via SMS by sending ‘Renew’ to 44155 or on WhatsApp by sending ‘Renew’ to +27 66 202 6685.