Treasury insider Dondo Mogajane has been appointed as the director-general in the National Treasury.
This development was confirmed on Thursday by Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo in Cape Town after a cabinet meeting.
Mogajane has been acting in the position since May 16 after DG Lungisa Fuzile left after Gordhan Pravin and Mcebisi Jonas were removed in March.
He is a career professional with nearly eighteen years of service in senior positions within National Treasury, including intergovernmental relations, provincial budget analysis and the international economic relation.
He has two honours degrees in Public Management and Human Resources and Industrial Relations, obtained at the University of Durban-Westville. He also has a Master’s Degree in Public Management, obtained from the University of Maryland USA.
Mogajane holds a Management Advancement Programme at Wits Business School and a programme in Budgeting and Public Financial Management at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
Following the appointment, most economists expressed confidence that the new Treasury head will excel in his new job.
An economist at KPMG LLP, Christie Viljoen said: “It’s positive that someone is appointed who has been there already, who knows the processes and has the institutional knowledge. It’s also better than if someone was appointed just from a political perspective.”
The Democratic Alliance (DA) also welcomed the appointment, saying Mogajane’s appointment puts to rest fears that a rogue, such as Brian Molefe, may have been appointed to the top job at National Treasury.
During the debate on the Appropriation Bill, Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba congratulated the new director-general and wished him well in his new job.
He said: “I wish to congratulate the new director general of National Treasury Dondo Mogajane on his appointment by the cabinet to the important post of director-general and we wish him well in his future endeavours.”
Most South Africa also showed their excitement with the appointment on Twitter.
— MediaGuru (@princecloete) June 8, 2017
Congratulations to #DondoMogajane for his appointment as the new Director General of Treasury
— Your Excellency (@Benji_Seitlhamo) June 8, 2017
Congratulations to our newly appointed DG Dondo Mogajane……a meet and greet with media will be organised on Sunday
— Mayihlome (@MTshwete) June 8, 2017
5 Fast Facts You Need To Know
- Mogajane’s appointment is coming two months after President Jacob Zuma displaced respected Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan and his deputy Mcebisi Jonas. Gordhan was axed on March 31.
- He joined the Treasury in 1999 as a senior budget analyst and served as chief of staff to Gordhan between 2010 and 2014.
- Dondo Mogajane was chief operating officer of the Treasury until mid-2015 when he was appointed a deputy director-general.
- He was once a lecturer in Public Management at TechniKon SA and ML Sultan Technikon and a part-time lecturer at Durban-Westville University.
- Former Treasury DG Lungisa Fuzile shortened his contract to end in May 2017 instead of May 2018.