South Africa’s official opposition party says South Africa has suffered under the Presidency of Jacob Zuma for 7 years. But, that next week will be the moment of reckoning for the country.
South Africans must now unite to ensure Zuma is fired immediately. That, must be done for the country and for the generations to come.
In line with that, the party has slammed criminal charges against the entire State Capture syndicate.
First, the party will lay criminal charges against President Jacob Zuma in terms of the Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act of 2004.
The criminal charges according to DA, revolves around the State Capture report evidence which showed that:
- The president improperly allowed members of the Gupta family and his son to be involved in the process of appointing members of Board of Directors of SOE’s.
- The president turned a blind eye to alleged corrupt practises by the Gupta family and his son in relation to allegedly linking appointments to quid pro quo conditions, as was the case with Mcebesi Jonas.
- Zuma may have exposed himself to a situation involving the risk of conflict between his official duties and his private interest by using his position or information entrusted to him to enrich himself and business owned by the Gupta family and his son to be given preferential treatment in the awarding of contracts.
With regards to the revelations made about the Minister of Public Enterprises and Eskom, DA recounted that Minister Browne allegedly appointed the Eskom board consisting predominantly of individuals with direct and indirect business or personal relationships with Duduzane Zuma, the Gupta family, and their relates associated.
As such, the party:
- Asked for the immediate resignation of Lynne Brown
- Called on Eskom CEO, Brian Molefe to step down immediately, or fired if he doesn’t.
- Demanded of all Eskom board members to resign immediately;
- And will lay criminal charges in terms of the PFMA and Prevention and Combatting of Corruption Act against accounting authorities.
Also, the State capture report noted that the Minister of Mineral Resources used his official position to unfairly and unduly influence a contract for a friend.
In accordance with that, DA called on Minister Zwane to resign immediately and will also, lay criminal charges against him.
For the Guptas and Duduzane Zuma, the DA has already laid criminal charges. In addition to that, they will refer the Hawks to the State capture report which detailed significant prima facie evidence of high-level corruption by the Guptas and Duduzane Zuma.
Above all the party said it will launch a public campaign to build support for its motion to remove Zuma as President. The party said it will be lobbying all Members of Parliament in the House, including the ANC to vote for the motion.
“This motion should not be viewed as a partisan motion. We do not see it as a DA motion. This is a South African motion. It is an opportunity for us to represent our people and speak truth to power on their behalf.
I know there are ANC MPs and Cabinet ministers who have had enough. They have an opportunity to actually do something about their anger next week Thursday,” remarked the DA leader.