CPR Saves Joburg Man After Lightning Struck On Anniversary Trip


A 56-year-old lovebird was having the time of his life with his wife until lightning struck him. But instead of dying, the man was given a second chance at life after his wife and a nurse who happened to be passing by in a taxi performed CPR on him and jolted him back to life.

See Also: Bizarre Storm In Eastern Cape Kills 81­ Year­Old Woman‚ Injures 15

The couple from Alberton, south of Johannesburg, were commemorating their wedding anniversary at a resort in Bergville in the foothills of the Drakensberg mountains in KwaZulu-Natal over the weekend.

It was the site of an “amazing cloud with rays of sun burning through it” that brought the man out of the car as they drove along a small road, paramedics said on Sunday.

“According to the wife, her husband was standing on the driver’s side of the car with the door open. She was busy on her cellphone when she heard an overpowering bang. She immediately looked up and could not see her husband,” said ER24 spokesperson Werner Vermaak.

After the bang, she found her husband lying unconscious next to their car and without a pulse.

The man sustained an extensive burn wound around his neck and left shoulder and his T-shirt had been torn to pieces from the impact of the lightning.

In the midst of the confusion and sudden turn out of events, she managed to put a phone call across to the resort to call an ambulance to their location, and then started performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR on her husband.

See Also: R100m Goes Up In Flames As Jumbo Cash And Carry Is Razed By Inferno In Joburg

Meanwhile, a minibus taxi passing by noticed the couple, and stopped to assist the woman. On board was a professional nurse, who rushed to her aid, Vermaak continued.

Both the wife and nurse worked together to resuscitate the man through CPR, while the other passengers on board burst out into prayer and praise songs around the injured man.

Within a short while, the CPR took effect and the man started breathing again before paramedics arrived and he was rushed to a hospital in Ladysmith.

It was indeed a miracle as the man only complained of nausea and not being able to hear anything.

His condition is stable though still undergoing tests to make sure there is no further damage.