Elvis Ramosebudi: Everything You Need To Know About The Coup Plotter

Advertisement

South African coup plotter Elvis Ramosebudi has been named as the man who allegedly planned to assassinate high-profile citizens.

The identity of the 33-year-old was revealed on Friday when he appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court.

The accused walked up the stairs into the court, removing his black hoodie to face the media and offering cameramen the opportunity to capture his face at the same time – since his arrest.

Also Read: SA Post Office To Become A Fully Fledged Bank – CEO Mark Barnes

After inquiries into Ramosebudi’s mental health, Magistrate Vincent Ratshibvumo, who presided over the bail hearing, charged the accused with conspiracy to commit murder – a crime he described as ‘very serious’.

Ramosebudi was arrested by the Hawks on Wednesday in Midrand while he was explaining to donors how state capture beneficiaries would be assassinated.

According to the Hawks, the suspect had planned to assassinate his targets ‘by undercover coup plot snipers’. Little did he know that the donors he was talking to were undercover officers.

23 people, including President Jacob Zuma, the Guptas, Zuma’s son Duduzane and a host of other cabinet members were among those on the accused’s hit list.

He reportedly wrote to mining mogul Nicky Oppenheimer requesting for R60 million to help him assassinate the so-called state capture beneficiaries.

Coup Plotter Elvis Ramosebudi told Oppenheimer that “All South Africans, have long been protesting and struggling against Jacob Zuma bad governance, rampant corruption, state capture, economic meltdown, self-interest, fraud and failure to protect and uphold the constitution of the country”.

In a letter containing his demands, he also wrote down his personal account number as the destination for the deposition of the money.

Ramosebudi also wrote to the Gupta family asking them for millions to assassinate former public protector Thuli Madonsela, former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas, and former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene.



Also, he reportedly wrote to some companies seeking R140-million to fund his operation.

The Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi confirmed on Friday that the elite unit picked several letters written by the accused.

In one of them, he wrote: “…The Gupta family has created employment opportunities for many black people since the dawn of freedom but white monopoly capitalists want to control the economy and prevent the Gupta family from creating more employment opportunities for the previously disadvantaged black people..”

He said the Hawks’ investigation is at a very sensitive stage, promising to disclose more details about information found in his home.

The 33-year-old who believes he has the answer to South Africa’s problem lives is unemployed and lives with his mother in Shoshanguve.

In its contribution during his court appearance today, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) advised that Ramosebudi should be taken for psychiatric evaluation.

The NPA buttressed that “It’s not normal for a person to commit such an offense using his own personal bank account and going around to companies.

Coup Plotter Elvis Ramosebudi is accused of founding the Anti-State Capture Death Squad Alliance and leading the Anti-White Monopoly Capitals Regime.

Check Out: Axed Minister Derek Hanekom Confirms Zuma Lied About Cabinet Reshuffle Apology

The ‘gangs’ are being groomed to kill some members of Cabinet, state-owned entities, and prominent South Africans.

Meanwhile, the state has requested for more time to enable the Hawks carry out more investigation into the matter.

Ramosebudi reportedly plans to seek legal assistance from Legal Aid and to apply for bail. The hearing was postponed until May 2.

Watch