Telkom is one of the first telecommunication companies to be established in South Africa before others like MTN, Neotel, Vodafone, and Cell-c followed. All of these different service providers have various codes for ease of operation. Telkom, which has been in existence since 1994, has always worked towards improving customer satisfaction and experience. As a Telkom user, you should know the different codes for checking any balance. If your Telkom number is linked to your bank account, you should also know how to check your account balance with your Telkom line.
If you don’t know these already, it’s nothing to worry about. This article will guide you through all you need to know. Before you finish reading this post, you would have known everything you need to know about checking your Telkom balance. Note that the codes for checking your Telkom balance in this post are unique for Telkom users in South Africa.
Telkom Codes For Checking Balance: Data and Airtime
If there is any code all Telkom users should be very familiar with, it is the Telkom Master code. This code can be used to check any balance, whether airtime or data. By dialing *180# on your Telkom line with your mobile phone, you have access to a variety of options like checking your data and airtime balance, canceling a subscription, sending airtime to a friend, and even purchasing data. This master code makes it easy for Telkom users to easily access any service they wish to within a short time.
After dialing the master code, follow the prompts for checking your data or airtime balance. To make checking balance easier, aside from the master code, Telkom also has unique codes for checking your data or airtime balance. These codes include:
- *188#: Can be used for checking your airtime balance
- *188#: This code is used specifically for checking your data balance
- *100#: This is an alternative to *188#
In the course of reading, you will get to know more about these codes for checking your Telkom balance and how to use them.
Four Ways to Check Telkom Airtime Balance on your Mobile Phone
There are four different ways Telkom users can check their airtime balance using their mobile phones. As a Telkom user, you can make use of any of these methods at any time, depending on your preference.
You Can Check Your Airtime Balance on WhatsApp
Checking your Telkom airtime balance on the messaging app WhatsApp is one of the easiest and faster methods of carrying out the operation, but it can only be enjoyed by smartphone users who have registered their Telkom line with WhatsApp.
If your Telkom line is active on WhatsApp, you can chat with a Telkom customer service agent just like you chat with your friends. To check your balance on WhatsApp, follow the steps below:
- Add 0811601700 to your contact list.
- Turn on your mobile data and open WhatsApp on your mobile phone.
- Check your WhatsApp contact list for the newly added contact.
- Tap on the name you used to save the Telkom customer service agent and start chatting.
- Ask the service agent for your airtime balance, and you will get an accurate response.
Check Your Telkom Airtime Balance on Telkom Mobile App
Another method for checking your airtime balance is through the Telkom mobile application. Just like using WhatsApp, the mobile app is limited to Telkom users who have smartphones and mobile data. Telkom mobile app can be downloaded on Google play store for android users or App Store for iPhone users. To check your balance on Telkom mobile app, follow the steps below:
- Download the Telkom mobile application on your phone.
- Register your number on the app.
- Tap on airtime balance to know how much airtime you have left.
You Can Check Your Airtime Balance Using USSD Codes
The use of USSD codes for checking your airtime balance is the easiest and universal method. Unlike other methods discussed above, it is not limited to those who have smartphones and mobile data. Here is how to check your Telkom airtime balance on your phone using USSD codes:
- Dial *188# on your mobile phone.
- Your airtime balance will be displayed to you almost immediately.
How to Check Your Telkom Airtime Balance Online
You can also check your Telkom airtime balance online. Although this can be done on other electronic gadgets that can access the internet, it is best to use a smartphone for a better user experience. Here is how to check your airtime balance online.
- Visit the official Telkom website.
- If you haven’t registered before, click on the register button.
- Input the required details (name, Telkom number, Identification number).
- If you are registered, click on Login.
- Immediately you are logged in, you will see details of your airtime balance.
How to Check Your Telkom Data Balance
Just like checking your airtime balance, there are a variety of methods for checking your data balance. You can use any of these methods, depending on your preference.
You Can Check Your Telkom Data Balance Using a USSD Code
The use of USSD code is one of the easiest and most used methods of checking your data balance. All you need to do is:
- Dial *188# on your mobile phone.
- Your data balance will be shown on your phone screen almost immediately.
Check Your Telkom Data Balance Via SMS
This is also one of the easiest methods for checking your data balance. Here is how to go about it:
- Open the messaging app on your phone
- Send a blank SMS to 188
- You will receive an SMS with your current data balance
You Can Check Your Data Balance Using the Telkom Mobile App
Besides using your Telkom mobile app to check your airtime balance, you can also use the app to check your data balance, but first, you will have to download the app from Google play store or App Store for android or iPhone users, respectively. After downloading the app, register your number, and you can always log in to check your mobile data balance at any time.
You Can Also Check Your Data Balance Using the IVR Menu
This is another easy way to check your Telkom data balance. This method involves the use of Interactive Voice Responses (IVR). All you have to do is dial 188 on your Telkom line, and an IVR will be activated. Follow the instructions to get to the data balance.
How to Check Your Telkom Bundle Balance Online
Telkom users can also check their bundle balance online. The process is very similar to checking your airtime balance online. All you have to do is visit the official Telkom website and click on login. If you have already registered, you will have access to your bundle balance. If you are yet to register, you may have to register first by clicking or tapping on the register button.
How Do I Check My Data Usage and Balance on My Telkom Router?
Telkom users who use a router instead of their mobile phones for data, mostly because they use more data and find the router more economical, should know how to check data usage and balance on the Telkom router.
- Visit the official Telkom website.
- Log in to the self-service portal where you can have access to your router data usage and balance, or,
- Send an SMS to 188.
- Almost immediately, you will receive details of your router data balance.