The Journey So Far In The 2016 LGE, What You Must Know


Election at a voting station in Bulwer, KwaZulu-Natal was temporarily interrupted after a female voter reportedly collapsed and died in a queue.

The tragic death was confirmed by the IEC in KwaZulu-Natal. Though the age and name of the deceased is yet to be disclosed; BuzzSouthAfrica gathered that this will be the second death recorded so far.

Bulwer Death Trailed Another Death In Strydenburg

An earlier death occurred at a voting station in Strydenburg, in the Northern Cape. The death was confirmed by IEC chair, Glen Mashinini.

Mashinini added that police are currently working with the IEC to deal with the incident. He however failed to mention the cause of death or how old the voter was.

Voting across many stations have been on the smooth side.

President Jacob Zuma was spotted voting at Ntolwane Primary School in Nkandla.

Read also: NPA Working With Police To Investigate Election-Related Killings

In Polokwane, many voters struggled to get a glimpse of rival leader, Julius Malema, who marched down to Mponegele Primary with his wife and grandmother to cast their votes.

The Buthelezi Traditional Court in Ulundi hosted Inkatha Freedom Party leader, Mangosothu Buthelezi, was accompanied by his wife, Irene Buthelezi. Speaking after voting; Buthelezi says he believes that the National Freedom Party can align to the ANC.

Voters “are free to support whoever they want to support but the by-elections will show the true voter base,” the NPF leader added.

South Africa’s endearing Public Protector, Thuli Madonsela, also made her decision in Pretoria. In Western Cape, embattled provincial leader Marius Fransman was spotted voting at the Dutch Reformed Church; in Kuils River.

Check out: A Good Piece Of Advice From DJ Tira To Youths On Election Day

In East London, the SAPS arrested some persons after they burnt tyres in an effort to disrupt voting in Cambridge township. Violence also broke in Kwa-Zulu Natal after electoral staff were dismissed.

Police sources say some men have been deployed to handle sporadic unrest in Ladysmith on the province’s central escarpment, and in Chatsworth in Durban.

In Chatsworth some residents from Bottlebrush informal settlement, near Croftdene were caught pelting stones at vehicles plying the link road from the Higginson Highway in a protest over piped water. However, riot police and crowd management officers later restored calmness in the area.

Meanwhile, there was a mild drama at George Campbell Technical School in Durban; when a 75-year-old voter was turned away from the voting after the system indicated that he had died.

The situation was however handled by the IEC who enjoined the ‘dead’ voter to hurriedly report at the Department of Home affairs for urgent and proper clarification.