South Africa’s non-government-run media joins a protest held at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) headquarter against SABC’s Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s decisions on limiting editorial integrity.
The protest held on Friday was organized and led by the SA National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) and was joined by Editors and journalists from various non-SABC media titles.
Journalists were urged to show their support to Sandf quest by wearing black and supporting the Black Friday protest against the SABC, which has sparked controversy with its moves to censor some news content
SABC has seen more of its journalists being suspended for failing to keep to the corporation’s new editorial policy described as censorship. Acting CEO Jimi Mathews had to resign in protest over developments at the SABC, which he said were wrong.
It’s therefore on this note that Sanef among other concerned organizations and ordinary citizens converged outside the SABC’s offices in Auckland Park demanding the immediate reinstatement of all its suspended journalists and the scrapping of the public broadcaster’s “illegally revised” editorial policies.
The Save Our SABC Coalition will also picket outside the SABC studios in Sea Point and Auckland Park in Johannesburg. The Organization Ongoing Tax Abuse (Outa) said it was joining the picket in Johannesburg.
Meanwhile, SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng insisted on not bowing to the pressure to allow journalists to report on violent protests or stories that would reflect negatively on President Jacob Zuma. Hlaudi, therefore, urged detractors to leave the SABC alone as he claims not to know what the word censorship meant.
The Right2Know campaign’s media freedom organizer, Micah Reddy, was quoted earlier this week as saying the SABC had started deteriorating a long time ago.
Reddy said Hlaudi’s interference in the editorial policy was one of the issues that had plunged the SABC into a downward spiral.