Simply put, the ANC War Room is a “manipulative war room” with an R50 million budget allegedly set up to ensure that the ANC emerged victorious in last year’s local government elections.
The war room was focused on enhancing the ANC’s vigour on social media and disempowering its political rivals, the DA and EFF, by printing fake election posters.
The war room was also mandated to produce articles for a website called The New South African, and also produce material for a television show.
But after the ANC flopped in the last municipal election, the party began dribbling the Public Relations strategist and architect of the war room Bolani Sihle over her money.
This subsequently made her go public about the dirty game in January. After distancing itself from Sihle’s claims, the ANC went ahead to rope her to the court.
In her first court application filed in January, Sihle disclosed that the party had agreed to pay Bolani R1-million in a settlement agreement.
In addition to the R1-million, she demanded a further R16000, an amount which she states were for her private resources which she used in executing her duties. According to her, the money was spent on fuel, phone calls, data, office supplies, printing and catering.
The court, however, ruled in favour of the ANC by scrapping the matter on the basis that the application was not urgent.
In the second application launched on Monday, February 27, Sihle reportedly sued the ruling party for a whopping R4-million – if the party does not pay her the R1 million she agreed to a compromise at the end of last year.
Other personalities implicated are; Majota “Phat Joe” Khambule, Lunga Kepe, Zama Nyuswa, Luvuyo Mgweba, Bongani Sibeko, Sibonga Sibiya, Mokha Moteetee, Khanyi Morudu, Tiro Kgoroeadira, Wasanga Meyana, Nelson Mokonyana, Kutloano Mogoboya, Nkuli Nzimande, Themba Hlengani, Tumi Rabanye, and Rudo Maphonga.
She claimed that Thusi participated in 12 episodes of a campaign called Right to vote with Pearl Thusi and also attended meetings of the war room that went on from 7am till noon.
According to her documents, the ANC had agreed to give her a monthly payment of R576000, which translated to R2,3-million over the duration of the project.
She revealed that the party only paid her R159000. It emerged in the court documents that she received R10000 in June 2016, R49000 in August 2016 and R100000 in January 2017.
Sihle said after the aforementioned payments, the ANC started dribbling her and won’t pay the outstanding debt. She claimed she was forced to visit the ANC’s Luthuli House headquarters in Johannesburg in November, where she held discussions with Mantashe.
Apart from the 12 episodes of Right to vote with Pearl Thusi, Sihle said she also opened Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts for the New South African. She also created a YouTube account for the Right to Vote with Pearl Thusi.
BuzzSouthAfrica understands she named ANC’s general manager Ignatius Jacobs, Shaka Sisulu and John Nkadimeng, as the architects of the war room.
Bolani’s life has piqued the interest of the public after she took the ANC to court in a bid to recover her money. She was Bonang Matheba’s best friend and dated AKA about six years ago.
Bolani is a mother of one, she is, however, engaged to a businessman Spike Bridge.
Meanwhile, this is not the first time the dirty tricks of the ANC’s war room is coming to light. The Congress of the People (COPE) alleged that they were the first victim of the ruling party’s War Room.
The party claimed that the War room was in full operation during the 2009 National Elections and that the ANC spent millions of rands in dirty tricks against them.