ANC NWC Meeting: Information from reliable sources in the African National Congress (ANC) indicates that President Jacob Zuma emerged the biggest winner at the meeting of the ANC’s national working committee held yesterday.
At 2 pm, on Tuesday, April 4, the top six officials of the ruling party sat for an urgent extended National Working Committee meeting.
During the ANC NWC meeting, the party’s extended national working committee rejected the ANC’s Integrity Commission’s recommendation for the embattled president to step down.
See Also: Reasons Why Zuma Appointed New Ministers
A major highlight of the ANC NWC meeting was the condemnation of three members of the ANC top six for speaking against President Jacob Zuma publicly.
The trio – Deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe and treasurer general Zweli Mkhize were compelled to apologize to the party for speaking against President Zuma publicly.
The trio had publicly noted their disapproval of the move and particularly the decision to remove Gordhan, saying that they were not properly consulted but merely informed them about the executive changes.
Notes/outcome of the meeting was mistakenly forwarded to the media but was immediately retracted via an email.
“This communication was sent out in error, is not an official statement of the ANC neither does it represent the views of the ANC. It should thus not be used for the purposes of reporting.
The ANC will convene a media briefing tomorrow, 5th April 2017 to give feedback to society and the media on the outcomes of the National Working Committee as confirmed earlier,” said ANC spokesperson, Zizi Kodwa.
Read Also: COSATU Agrees It’s Time To Do Away With Zuma
ERRONEOUS COMMUNICATION NOT VIEWS OR STATEMENT OF THE ANC pic.twitter.com/Acl0n0buCi
— Year of OR Tambo (@MYANC) April 4, 2017
It was apparent from the leaked notes that the ANC top six failed to chastise Zuma despite high hopes from his critics that they would take a firm stance again the detested president.
The following issues were discussed at the ANC NWC meeting:
- Change of leadership and attendant issues
- Measured approach to providing explanation to what transpired
- Posture and how leadership projects itself
- Condemn behaviour of SACP and COSATU
- Cde Kathrada Funeral – manner in which some NEC members and Ministers behaved
- Mobilising by Cde Pravin
- Establishment of alternative platforms
- Comments attributed to ANC Gauteng PEC
- Motion of no confidence
- Rebuilding trust in society
- Management of Alliance tensions
- Markets should not dictate to the movement
- Officials managing NWC, defense of the ANC where National Office fails, Officials’ apologise for display of disunity, using Constitution where it suits them, explain your ill discipline
- ANC must go back to provinces and explain
- Support to newly appointed deployees
- Building of monitoring and evaluation capacity at Luthuli (institutionalization, accountability framework)
- Communication at Luthuli House must be for all
- How do we understand the challenges facing us?
- Behaviour of alliance partners hurting the organization
- Decisive behaviour by the officials
- Divisions within the organization
- DP and President with IC who sought to meet with all the National Official
- Current environment
- View of the Officials that there has not been a discussion within the structures of this ANC on this matter, it was agreed that the Integrity Commission should allow for the leadership to engage on it
- Letter raised – disowned by the IC and agreed that it shall be withdrawn
- All National Officials to address media briefing and Caucus
- Decision to downgrade SA was taken on Thursday before the reshuffle
- Arguments based on political stability and policy certainty
- Not weakness in the macroeconomic fundamentals
- Would changes in the Executive mean changes in policy direction of the ANC
- Perceived risks based on unscientific forecasts
- ANC led government remains committed to same fiscal framework based on fiscal consolidation and the quest for inclusive growth
- Continuing partnership with all societal partners
- Tolerance to deviant behaviour
- Entrench authority to lead
- Leaks in the organization
- Silence of the Communications Team on newly appointed teams
- Focus on ANC programmes, distractions created by Conferences
- Decisive intervention required, struggle we must engage and work we need to do
- Pending pronouncements by Fitch and Moody’s
- Concern on impact on the poor
- Policy certainty
- Fiscal policy has not changed
- Rated on the basis of political interests
- Exercise patience of different views, synthesize them to emerge what could be the best way forward
- We are weaker when we show divisions internally
- Cannot just malign view that we differ with, must be entertained in a credible structure of the organization
- What should constitute minimum programme moving forward – speaking to the substantive issues
- Prevail to give accountable and legitimate leadership to society
- Engagement with comrades who have been removed
- Propagate positivity in the society
- Reshuffle triggered resurgence of dead movement #ZumaMustFall
- Firm belief that they can remove President Zuma
- Mobilized within the state, works with opposition, disgruntled ANC members
- Who must determine the leaders and agenda of the ANC
- Expectation of members of the ANC of the National Officials
- Mobilization is not a spontaneous act
- Met reflected on the matter
- Sustained destabilization of the ANC since 2012
- Contestation towards 2017/ National Conference re-positioning
- Pronouncements of the Leagues must be engaged by the National Officials
- Unfortunate actions of the Integrity Commission
- With humility, common appreciation of what we face as challenges
- Restore confidence in society
- Irreparable breakdown of the relationship between the President and Former Finance Minister
- Impact on the unity of the movement
- Taken steps to correct these shortcomings
- Minimize antagonisms within the movement
- Review Political Committee and Strategizing Committee
- Public discord compounded by
Collectivism which will give support and credence to the process
- Value the quality members bring to the debates
- Multifaceted impact of the events
Complexities cannot be swept under the carpet
- How do we deal with some of our comrades becoming part of a force united against us
- Renew and rebuild ANC
- Sustained contestation over the ANC and Treasury
- Character assassinations in traditional and new media
- Overarching message of unity
- Disassociate with mobilization for discontent
- Restore confidence in society
- Fractured and ructions at the highest level
- Overarching message of unity (not just the organization but the country)
- Nothing must be impossible or a challenge that is insurmountable for the ANC to manage. No choice but to find one another
- ANC as a leader of society – social mobilization, intended to weaken the ANC
- Past four days have been very difficult for the ANC and the country
- Prevailing contradictions. SA problem is a class struggle. Removal of the President will not resolve such contradictions
- Interests of the ANC and motive forces should be paramount
- Leadership cannot be blind to the calamitous challenges we are facing, such would be dangerous to the NDR.
The party has announced a media briefing on Wednesday following the ANC NWC meeting.