ANC Members Resort To Extreme Measures To Protest Nomination Of Thoko Didiza


As suspected earlier, some disgruntled ANC members have taken to the streets in protest over the nomination of former public works minister Thoko Didiza as the party’s mayoral candidate for Tswhane.

An eye-witness reported that the protesting party members overturned a Tshwane metro police car in the city centre of Pretoria on Monday afternoon. This was to show their disapproval on the decision taken by the party earlier today.

See Also: Finally, ANC Mayoral Candidate For Tshwane Unveiled Amid Chaos

The metro cop car was overturned on the corner of Schoeman and Becket streets next to Court Classique Boutique hotel.

Efforts made by a motorist to capture the moment were met with violence as his phone was confiscated and destroyed for taking pictures. Also, stones were hurled at people living in nearby flats who were also trying to take pictures of the incident.

Following the controversy that erupted over the naming of ANC mayoral candidate for the metro on Sunday, the African National Congress (ANC) on Monday confirmed Thoko Didiza as the nominated candidate, calling on members to support the nomination and not to resort to violence again.

The police reportedly flooded Tshwane on Monday morning following the incident that saw bullets flying during a disagreement that ensued over the naming of the ANC mayoral candidate.

Apparently, the Provincial Executive Committee was not satisfied by the names that had been submitted. The choice of Thoko Didiza to replace Kgosientso Ramokgopa led to violence right outside the Tshwane Events Centre where the Tshwane region of the African National Congress (ANC) was holding its mayoral elective conference which led to shooting.

See Also: National Press Club Accuses ANC Of Undermining Freedom Of The Press

Spokesperson for the current Tshwane mayor, Blessing Manale explained that the “shooting took place…before the arrival of the leadership to give the outcome of the final candidates decision. One person was injured and taken to hospital and the metro police and SAPS are on site and no arrests have been made.”

It must be noted that both the police and some ANC members in ANC T-shirts allegedly threatened Journalists from the National Press Club (NPC) who were trying to cover the incident.