For several years, Ballito has been the best holiday destination for South Africans and visitors alike. The popular holiday town is well-loved for its subtropical climate and beaches. Ballito, which is located in KwaZulu-Natal, has many beach spots that have been fun attractions to visitors. The town is nicknamed Dolphin Coast as dolphins are commonly seen on the stretch of the North Coast shoreline. Also, the town is home to exciting family adventure attractions and this has made Ballito one of the most visited towns in Mzansi.
Every year, tourists flood Ballito to have the best time of their lives and leave satisfied after having a fun-filled adventure at the top-notch attractions such as Ballito Junction, Sugar Rush Park, and Willard Beach. Some exciting annual activities are also hosted in the holiday town as Ballito offers loads of fun with an array of outdoor entertainment. Interestingly, these activities are not only enjoyed by couples and adults but the kids too are not left out in the fun events. With Ballito being ranked among the best holiday destination in the country, there has been significant growth in its population in recent years.
Where is Ballito?
Ballito forms part of the KwaDukuza Local Municipality and iLembe District Municipality. It is located in KwaZulu-Natal, a province on the northeast coast of South Africa. It is built on the rolling hills of the Dolphin Coast and lies between the N2 highway and the warm Indian Ocean. The town is nestled in an incredibly stunning stretch of coastal forest on the northeastern coastline of SA. As such, it is surrounded by the rolling hills blanketed with evergreen sugarcane plantations.
The seaside town has experienced significant growth in its business sector down the years as it has a huge business park bordering the N2 freeway. Furthermore, the development of Dube City and King Shaka International Airport to the South has contributed to its growth. The airport is about 20 to 30 minutes drive away from the N2 highway. Also, Ballito’s neighbourhoods such as Umhali, Shaka’s Rock, Zimbali, and Salt Rock are easily accessible as they are not more than 10 to 15 minutes drive away from the N2 freeway.
Which Side of Durban is Ballito?
The famous holiday town is about 40 kilometres (25 miles) north of Durban. It is just off the N2 highway which is Durban’s Outer Ring Road. The well-known highway takes you from Ballito to Durban’s Golden Mile, popular seaside resorts along the Dolphin Coast, as well as the King Shaka International Airport. From the newly upgraded Golden Mile promenade in Durban to Ballito takes a scenic 45 minutes drive.
Ballito is one of the most popular holiday towns in Durban. While Durban is dubbed “The Playground of South Africa”, Ballito is the epicentre of outdoor entertainment and adventure.
What is Ballito Known For?
Ballito is quite popular for so many good reasons. Year-round, the town enjoys a warm sub-tropical climate. Its summer rainfall stretches from late September to mid-March. This stretch of coastline in SA is situated on the Indian Ocean, where people surf and swim almost throughout the year. The town also has gorgeous beaches, an exciting choice of shopping centres, lush wilderness areas, upmarket accommodation with modern amenities, as well as beachfront bars and cafés. As a result, Ballito is perfect for an adventurous beach holiday in South Africa.
What Exciting Things Are There To Do in Ballito?
As the epicentre of outdoor entertainment and adventure, Ballito offers a magical outdoor experience to both locals and visitors. In the well-known holiday destination, one can decide to cycle through the lush coastal forests, take a walk on the beach promenade, enjoy a meal at the top-notch restaurants, visit amusement parks and shopping malls, or grab a drink at the beachside bars. Either way, a visit to Ballito guarantees an unforgettable lifetime experience, and here are ways you can spoil yourself with loads of fun while visiting the seaside town.
1. Shopping at Ballito Junction Regional Mall
- Location: Shop 242a and Shop 628d, Leonora Dr, Ballito, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Website: www.ballitojunction.co.za
- Phone: 032 586 1130; Email; [email protected]
- Instagram: @mallballitojunction
- Visiting Time: Monday – Saturday: 09h00 -18h00; Sundays and Public Holidays: 09h00 – 17h00
One of the fun things to do in Ballito is shopping at the Ballito Junction Regional Mall. It is one of the most popular malls around Durban and is situated in the suburbs of Ballito. The place has diverse brand-name shops where you can shop in or you can just decide to tour around the shops and feed your eyes on the beautiful things on display. Couples also have exciting moments while watching a movie at the NuMetro cinema situated in the mall.
Ballito Junction has lots of restaurants where one can enjoy a delicious meal. You can also get gift cards at the mall. However, you’ll need to present a valid ID document for the purchase. Ballito Junction is all-in-one mall as it offers everything one needs.
- Ballito Junction Regional Mall features more than 200 stores and has six anchor tenants – Checkers, Edgars, Pick n Pay, Woolworths, Game, and Dis-Chem.
- The mall’s gift cards are intended for use only within its premises and can be purchased with debit and credits cards only.
- Ballito mall’s gift cards are valid for three years from the date of purchase and are sold within a range of R50 to R5,000.
2. Walking Through “The Hole in the Wall” at Thompson’s Bay Beach
Location: Ocean Drive, Ballito, 4399, South Africa
Entrance Fee: No
Phone: 032 946 1997
Visiting Time: Daylight hours
Thompson’s Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Ballito. It is a sheltered cove located in-between Ballito and Chaka’s Rock (along Ocean Drive). Apart from relaxing on the beach, one can engage in adventurous activities such as fishing, paddleboarding, climbing rocks, and paragliding. Families do have a great time at the beach by walking through the much-talked-about “Hole in the Wall” located at the bay beach. They also enjoy swimming in the waves and then rounding off with picnic activities. Thompson’s Bay Beach also features a very large tidal pool which is ideal for swimming training.
The venue also has a unique walkway at the seaside of the pool. At high tides, taking a stroll on the walkway can be super exciting, but it has to be with careful footing. The beach is additionally safe as it’s protected with shark nets and has a police presence and lifeguards station as well. There is also the presence of local stores close to the beach where visitors can purchase local crafts. Thompson’s Bay Beach is family-friendly and so full of sea life such as lionfish, urchins, and corals. Surrounded by mountains, the beach is a great romantic spot for hike dates.
- Thompsom’s Bay Beach’s 50m tidal pool is safe for snorkelling and also great for little ones to explore.
- The beach is one of the top fishing spots in KwaZulu-Natal.
- It is about 25 minutes drive from the King Shaka International Airport.
- Thompson Bay Beach is currently closed for swimming due to chemical contamination after a spillage was caused by a fire at the UPL chemical warehouse in Cornubia.
3. Grab a Meal at Simbithi Country Club
- Location: Simbithi Drive & Plumbago Way, Simbithi Eco-Estate, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.simbithi.com
- Phone: 032 946 8360; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @simbithicountryclub
- Visiting Time: Mondays: 8 AM – 9 PM; Tuesday to Saturday: 7 AM to 10 PM; Sundays: 7 AM – 6 PM
With great views of a golf course and lovely restaurants, Simbithi Country Club is one of the best places to have fun in Ballito. It is a family-oriented country club situated in Eco-Estate on the North Coast of KwaZulu-Natal. The venue, which is ideal for a family outing, has a good playing area for children. Its restaurant serves a wide range of Indian cuisine, as well as Moroccan braised lamb, Parmesan chicken schnitzel, and Yuzu Lomi Lomi salmon poke bowl. While grabbing a couple of delicious meals at the country club eateries, one can enjoy the magnificent view of the 18-hole Peter Matkovich executive golf course.
- Besides Simbithi Country Club, Simbithi Eco-Estate is home to the Fig Tree Restaurant, Halfway House, the Drop Zone Bar, and Heron Pizzeria.
- The family-oriented country club is located on Simbithi’s Eco-Estate’s 430 hectares of land and can be used as a wedding and conference venue.
4. Visit Aloha Active
- Location: Shop C2, 61 Basil Hulett Drive, Salt Rock Centre, Dolphin Coast, 4392, South Africa
- Website: www.alohaactive.co.za
- Phone: 082 9744114; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @alohaactivestudio
- Visiting Time: Monday to Saturday: 06h00 – 17h15
You can be sure to enjoy outdoor activities to the fullest when you visit Ballito’s Aloha Active. The yoga and fitness studio helps its visitors to embark on an amazing fitness journey. The venue has fitness programmes that are designed to suit kids and adults. The indoor and outdoor workout sessions help the body and mind to always have a harmonious balance. As such, Aloha Active has been a go-to place for every fitness enthusiast visiting the seaside town and equally for those wishing to start a fitness journey as well.
- Aloha Active classes must be booked in advance before anyone can participate.
- The various fitness classes going at Aloha Active include Functional Fitness, Kids Yoga, Aerial Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, HATHA Yoga, Restorative Yoga, and YIN Yoga.
5. Beer Tasting at The Great Railroad Brewing Company
- Location: Unit 13 Canton Park, 4102, Shakashead, Dolphin Coast, 4420, South Africa
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.ballitobrewingcompany.co.za
- Phone: 082 909 4001; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @greatrailroadbrewing
- Visiting Time: Monday to Thursday: 08h00 – 16h30; Fridays: 08h00 – 15h00; Saturdays and Public Holidays: By Appointment Only; Sundays: Closed
Great Railroad Brewing Company (now renamed Ballito Brewing Company) is where couples enjoy a beer-tasting romantic outing. It first started as a hobby but is now a fully-fledged craft beer microbrewery. They offer free beer tasting to visitors (by appointment only) and the activity has been fun since it started in Ballito. There is no lesser fun than getting to taste all the different beers brewed at Railroad Brewery, that’s why the venue is one of the fun places to visit in Ballito. The brewery has eight different beer brands which include a classic Pilsner with a twist, Dingaans Premium Lager, German Weiss beer, Ballito Belgian Ale, Ballito Olde’ English Ale, and Irish Red Ale.
One can also enjoy a uniquely formulated craft gin & tonic (which is available in a number of flavours) at Ballito Brewing Company. Besides beer tasting, you can also enjoy a scenic tour around the brewing company as the owners, Gary and Ursula Wilby are ever willing to share their success stories with visitors, as well as their business passions. Here, you will learn about the processes involved in the brewing of beer which makes the tour an interesting one.
- Great Railroad Brewing Company was established by Gary and Ursula Wilby in August 2015.
- For a brewery tour on a Saturday, booking needs to be made by latest on Thursday.
- No walk-ins are allowed at the brewery as you will be turned away if you show up without scheduling a visit.
- The tour is conducted for a minimum of four people and visitors are gifted with a complimentary gift pack of 3 beers to go home with. The brewery tour costs R180 per person.
6. Get Entertained at Sugar Rush Park
- Location: Sugar Rush Park, Esenembe Road, Ballito, 4390
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.sugarrush.co.za
- Phone: +27 60 997 9996; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @sugarrushkzn
- Visiting Time: Out of season – Mondays: Closed down except Food Fundi, Holla Trails & Single Track Minded; Tuesday to Sunday: 8 AM – 4 PM; In season – opens 7 days a week
Sugar Rush Park is perfect for couples with kids who want to have some family time. It is a great venue to get the family entertained. It is definitely worth a visit for adults as well. You can bring your whole family to Sugar Rush Park as there are great coffee shops and restaurants on the premises. The restaurant has a good choice of menu options and offers creative recipes complemented with fresh ingredients. Though entrance to the venue is free, participation in activities going on at Sugar Rush comes with a charge. Each activity is super fun and more challenging than one would expect.
Sugar Rush offers lots of activities for children and they include putt putt, laser tag, barrel train rides, unicorn slime workshop, electric train rides, and holla trail rides. As fun is unlimited at Sugar Rush Park, adults can equally enjoy TUWA pamper parties, archery tag, and laser tag. Inside the park is situated Simply Be Day Spa which is great for a romantic outing as they offer quality massage, manicures, and pedicures.
- Sugar Rush Park hosts a wide range of activities each year from live music to movie nights, sporting trails, and runs.
- Picnics are allowed at Sugar Rush Parks, however, all food and beverages must be purchased from the restaurant.
Sugar Rush Park Pricing includes:
- Putt Putt – R60 pp
- Electric Train Rides – R30 pp
- Unicorn Smile Workshop – R100 pp
- Laser Tag 1 hour – R125 pp
- Laser Tag half-hour – R75 pp
- Holla Trail Rides (Adults): R75 pp
- Holla Trail Rides (12 years – 18 years): R45 pp
- Barrel Train Rides – R30 pp
- Unicorn Slime Party Pack – R70
- Massages – From R250 pp
- Waxing – From R100 pp
- Manicures – From R120 pp
- Pedicures – From R130 pp
- Tinting – From R75 pp
7. Have an Awe-Inspiring Flight Experience With Comefly! Microlight Flights
- Location: Groutville Airfield, Adjacent Mvoti Shell Ultra City, N2 North Bound, Stanger, 4449, South Africa
- Website: www.comefly.co.za
- Phone: +27 84 266 3359
- Visiting Time: Monday to Friday: 7 AM – 5 PM; Saturdays: 6 AM – 6 PM; Sundays: 8:30 AM – 6 PM
Get to experience life’s greatest sensations with Comefly! Microlight Flights. The venue is a popular holiday destination for local and international tourists. You will have an awesome experience flying over Ballito’s Northcoast of KwaZulu-Natal; having a spectacular view of the beautiful coastline of the Dolphin Coast. You will also get to have an incredible view of many sea life such as dolphins, sharks, turtles, large schools of tuna, giant manta rays, and whales. Feel the freedom of flight while in Ballito as the Microlight flight experience is nothing short of fun!
- Comefly! Microlight has diverse packages which include 20 minutes flight, 30 minutes flight, and 45 minutes flight.
- The flight cost from R280.
- Visitors are advised to come with a warm jacket as it does get a bit chilly up in the sky even in the summer.
- Comefly! Microlight doesn’t have an age limit, nonetheless, there is a weight limit of 120 kg.
8. Experience a Wide Range of Indigenous Reptiles
- Location: Sugar Rush Park, Esenemble Road, Ballito, 4390
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: ndlondloreptilepark.co.za
- Phone: +27825614969; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @ndlondoreptilepark56
- Visiting Time: Out of season – Mondays: Closed down; Tuesday to Sunday: 8 AM – 4 PM; In season – opens 7 days a week
Ndlondo Park is a popular tourist attraction in Ballito where one gets to be treated to an educational tour in the wild. Be sure to have an adrenaline rush while touring around the park as some of its tenants include some rare, dangerous, and venomous reptiles. The adventurous tour gives visitors the opportunity to meet indigenous snakes and reptiles in the park which include black mambas, cobras, tarantulas, scorpions, anaconda, and puff adders. During the guided tour, the brave guests can be allowed to handle a snake or a tarantula. You can also take memorable and fun photos while interacting with the animals.
- Personalized tours are conducted for day visitors at Ndlondo Reptile Park and it lasts from 40 minutes to an hour and half.
- Adults pay a fee of R80 for the tour while children between the age of 4 and 16 pay R50.
- With the reptile park being education and conservation-based, they host daily shows to display the nature of cobras.
- Some courses are offered at the park and they include snake first aid, snake identification, snake handling, and snake awareness courses.
9. Ultimate Relaxation at Secrets Health, Beauty and Day Spa
- Location: 627 Main Road, Shaka’s Rock, Dolphin Coast, 4399, KwaZulu-Natal
- Website: www.secretsbeautyspa.co.za
- Phone: +27 64 379 5663; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @secrets_beautyspa
- Visiting Time: Monday to Saturday: 8 AM to 5 PM; Sundays: Open by appointment
Secret Health, Beauty and Day Spa offers a pampering experience like no other. The spa is a great place for couples to bond as they spend quality time with each other while enjoying the pampering journey. In addition to having highly skilled and qualified therapists, the venue has stunning sea views and is situated in a serene environment. The spa is an embodiment of peace and serenity and it offers impeccable treatment from hot stone massage to foot massage, as well as manicures and pedicures. The experience is absolutely breathtaking as the therapists will leave you with soft soothed and glowing skin.
- Secrets Health, Beauty and Day Spa was established as an upmarket boutique day spa in 2008.
- The spa is owned by Karen Landman, an award-winning health and wellness coach who also owns Simply Models, KZN.
- Secrets Health, Beauty and Day Spa has over 100 treatment packages for everyone, including the elderly and children.
10. Take a Stroll Along Willard Beach’s Promenade
- Location: 102C Compensation Beach Road, Ballito, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Entrance Fee: No
- Phone: 032 946 1997
- Visiting Time: Daylight hours
If you are looking to have so much fun in Ballito, you won’t go wrong with a visit to Ballito’s main beach, Willard Beach. It is wheelchair accessible and the promenade is quite popular with joggers, cyclists, strollers, and skateboarders. The promenade is well maintained and stretches all the way from Willard Beach to the commercial area of lower Ballito. There are benches at strategic points along the promenade where one can sit and have a beautiful view of the beach. The venue is a prime getaway for the whole family. The beach is safe as it has lifeguards on-site and protective shark nets. security guards are also on the walkways.
Willard Beach also has a fantastic setting and excellent amenities. Surfers often test their skills on the beach as it is a prime surfing beach. Families with little ones can also have a good time swimming in the calm tidal pool. Shops and restaurants are present at Willard Beach. As such, one can easily engage in retail shopping or enjoy a delicious meal while relaxing on the beach with friends, partners, and children. Local traders sell beach wares close to the vicinity in case one forgets to come with them.
- Willard Beach is one of the few Blue Flag beaches in South Africa.
- The beach hosts the Ballito Pro Surfing Competition annually (June and July) and this is one of the largest surfing competitions in the world, presented by Billabong.
- Willard Beach is considered the best beach holiday destination in Ballito as it is ideal for exciting activities such as scuba diving, swimming, snorkelling, fishing, and stand-up paddling.
- At Willard Beach, there is a good chance of seeing a school of dolphins surfing in the waves or whale(s) in the deeper water off the backline.
11. Tour Around Monkeyland KZN
- Location: MonkeylandKZN Dolphin Coast, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Website: www.monkeylandkzn.co.za
- Phone: +27(0)32 004 0178; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @sassa_monkeylandkzn
- Visiting Time: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Public Holidays: 9 AM – 4 PM
Thrill yourself to unlimited fun with a visit to a 23-hectare forest sanctuary for rescued exotic primates whenever you visit Ballito. Though on the outskirt of Ballito, Monkeyland KZN has attracted many tourists to the holiday town. Since its launch in 2019, it has grown to become a much-loved primate sanctuary and a must-see place. Some of its tenants include black howler monkeys, black and white ruffed lemurs, capuchin monkeys, spider monkeys, squirrels, ringtailed lemurs, and buff-cheeked gibbons. The venue also has a secure parking lot, children’s jungle gym, gift shop, pizza restaurant, and a prayer room at the reception area.
- Monkeyland KZN is the first free roaming multi-specie primate sanctuary in the world.
- The primate sanctuary along with The Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary, and Birds of Eden, which are known as the South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA), won the Lilizela Service Excellent Award for Best Visitor Experience ‘Wildlife Encounters.’
- There is a hands-off policy at the sanctuary as the primates are not meant to be touched.
- Monkeyland KZN offers membership tickets that are valid for one year and the cost is R560 per adult and R280 per child.
Monkeyland KZN guided tours cost:
- Children under 3 years – Free
- Children (3 years old to 12 years old) – R140
- Adults: R280
12. Go on Snorkelling Safaris at Tidal Tao
- Location: CNR Ocean Drive and Old Main Road, Shaka’s Rock, Dolphin Coast, KwaZulu-Natal
- Website: www.tidaltao.com
- Phone: +27 (0)79 307 0608; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @tidal_tao
- Visiting Time: Sunday to Saturday: 8 AM – 8 PM
One of the most popular tours one can engage in at Tidal Tao is Discover Snorkelling Safari. The tour, which offers an experience of a lifetime, is perfect for families and children visiting the venue for the first time as it lasts for two hours. The tour is conducted for small groups and they normally get a first taste of the wonders of the ocean. The snorkelling tours take place in safe and protected pools. You do not need to be an experienced swimmer or super fit before you can go on snorkelling safaris at Tidal Tao. Once you know how to swim, the team on site will teach you how to snorkel and move in the water.
The tour normally kicks off in the mornings, on an outgoing tide, when the conditions are at their best. If you don’t have snorkelling gear, there’s no problem, as you will get issued with one at the venue. During the tour, your guide will ensure that you are comfortable and have loads of fun by keeping a beady eye on you. Also, you will get to learn interesting facts about marine life while on the trip and see several of them, including parrotfish, lionfish butterflyfish, moray, and eels. Other exciting activities carried out at Tidal Tao include underwater photoshoots, night snorkelling, night walks, and explorer snorkelling.
- Photos of your tours will be taken by your guide when you snorkel at Tidal Tao and kids are offered a free certificate of participation.
- Short skills sessions are conducted for first-timers where they will learn how to fix potential problems they might encounter while snorkelling.
- During the tours, you can expect to see about 20 to 50 species of fish and corals and equally, a wide range of invertebrates.
- At Tidal Tao, children who are 12 years old and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
The cost for the tours are as follows:
- Adult – R320 per person
- Children over 10 years – R320
- Children between 6 years old and years old – R150
- Children 5 years and younger – Free
13. Tour Around the Adventure Valley
- Location: Hopewell Farm No.1369, Esenembe Road, Ballito
- Website: www.adventurevalley.co.za
- Phone: 032 815 1027; Email: [email protected]
- Visiting Time: Sunday to Thursday: 08h00 – 17h00; Fridays: 08h00 – 15h00; Closed on Saturdays
Also known as Adventure Valley, Clubventure offers fun eco-adventure with a 1.5 km zipline tour, scuba diving, survivor challenge, and kids parties. The zipline tour allows you to enjoy a 400m cable slide across the valley, leaving you with beautiful views of the lush surroundings. You will also experience a mesmerising feeling when parachuting down the mountain whilst being safely attached to a zipline cable. The place is ideal for family adventure and equally for building team spirit in couples. For those who love the outdoors and nature, the tour is safe and lasts for up to 2 hours. It costs from R399 and a certificate is awarded upon completion.
- The zipline tour at Clubventure is carried out even when it is raining, however, they do not go on with the activity if there is thunder or lightning.
- Visitors are to bring to the venue sunscreen and cameras or cellphone, with which they will take pictures that will capture their zipline and scuba diving fun adventure, giving them a lasting memory of the trip.
14. Make a Trip to The Jump Park
- Location: Sugar Rush Park, Esenemble Road, Ballito, 4390
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.thejumppark.co.za
- Phone: 081 137 0285
- Instagram: @thejumpparkballito
- Visiting Time: Out of Season – Mondays: Closed Down; Tuesday to Sunday: 8 AM – 4 PM; In season – opens 7 days a week
Ideally suited for young kids and adults, Jump Park has a wide range of fun activities that will get you craving for another visit. The indoor trampoline park guarantees a great outing with a viewing lounge for relaxation along with free wifi and incredible facilities that can be enjoyed all year round regardless of the weather. As trampolining offers many health benefits, including weight loss, Jump Park has been the favourite amusement spot for kids and adults who wish to jump to super satisfaction. Interestingly, you can pay for one-hour jump session and get an extra hour for free.
- Jump Park has more than 50 trampolines on site which makes it an idyllic venue for a family excursion.
- You don’t need to book in advance before visiting the popular park as you can be checked in at the reception when you arrive.
- Jumpers are required to wear trampoline socks while using the facilities and the socks can be purchased at the reception.
- There is no age limit at Jump Park but a weight restriction of 100kg is applicable.
Jump Prices are as follows:
- 1-hour jump session for 5 years and younger – R110
- 1-hour jump session for 6 years and older – R150
15. Tour Around Cappeny Estates
- Location: D176 Off Esenembe Road, Compensation, Ballito
- Website: www.cappenyestates.com
- Phone: 032 8151168; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @cappenyestates
- Visiting Time: Monday to Friday: 07h00 -16h00
Throughout the year, at Cappeny Estates, they are either planting or harvesting strawberries. Hence, touring around the one-of-a-kind strawberry farm leaves lovers of the outdoor life and nature awe-inspired. Cappeny Estates is nestled between the rolling hills of iLembe and the Indian Ocean. Over the years, the world-class strawberry farm has been flooded by tourists as a day in the estate is filled with endless and exciting activities. When the sun rises from the hills, that’s when the strawberries are long nested in their crates, ready for sorting.
- Cappeny Estates strawberry farm was launched in 2013 and it is the only commercial strawberry farm in Ballito.
- The 17-hectare farm is owned by the Gumede family. It is one of the most popular hydroponic strawberry farms in KwaZulu-Natal.
16. Have an Adventurous Cycling at Holla Trails
- Location: Sugar Rush Park, Esenemble Road, Ballito, 4390
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.hollatrails.co.za
- Phone: +27(0)74 897 8559; Email; [email protected]
- Instagram: @holla_trails
- Visiting Time: Monday to Sunday: 8 AM – 4 PM
Get to choose your adventure by visiting Holla Trails where you will experience a ride of a lifetime. The venue has a mountain bike and trail running system that transverses more than 42 working farms, which consist of 375 kilometres of marked trails. The spectacular scenery at Holla Trails often amazes both experienced and totally novice riders. Visitors treat themselves to an adventurous trip by hiring a bike to explore the trails, as well as the rural landscape with the aid of a guide or on their own own.
Holla Trails provides every necessary tool needed for the adventure. Whether you are a trail runner, mountain biker, or simply want to enjoy walking in the outdoors, be sure to have a memorable and exciting tour. Holla Trails offers visitors the opportunity to go out and experience life in all its fullness and to test their limits to see how far and how fast they can go. The venue definitely has something for everyone; whether you are riding at the top or you are new to mountain biking. A visit to Holla Trails helps to build team spirit in couples and families. You can get the most of the mountain bike adventure through a guided tour.
- All the routes at Holla Trails have a profile and description displayed at the trailhead and their team are always available to give directions and advice.
The price for hiring a bike at Holla Trails are as follows:
- Children – R150 for 4 hours (Helmet and permit inclusive)
- Adults – R300 for 4 hours (Helmet and permit inclusive)
- Excess of R500 per bike is paid as a deposit and there is an option to limit the excess to R250 at a rental price of R350 for adults or R175 for children.
Holla Trails guided tours ensure the best and safest mountain bike tours, however, it has a limit of about 5 people per guide and the fees are:
- Ride 40 km to 60 km – R550 per guide (Up to 5 pax)
- Ride 20 km to 40 km – R450 per guide (Up to 5 pax)
- Ride up to 20 km – R350 per guide (Up to 5 pax)
17. Visit La Montagne Resort Hotel & Spa
- Location: 100 Compensation Beach Road, Ballito, Dolphin Coast, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 4420
- Website: www.firstgroup-sa.co.za/la-montagne/accommodation
- Phone: +27329462121; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @lamontagneballito
- Visiting Time: Check-in: 3 PM; Check-out: 10 AM
Situated along Compensation Beach, La Montagne Hotel & Spa is one of the best accommodation places in Ballito. Visitors are normally thrilled with views of the Indian Ocean offered by all of the rooms in La Montagne. The hotel is also ideal for an unforgettable romantic experience as couples can book for a pampering treatment at the spa or enjoy a great variety of dishes at the Palm Terrace restaurant which serves breakfast, launch, and pizza. Also, one can have a view of the Indian Ocean while in the pool. Whales and dolphins are often seen in the ocean and this adds a bit of excitement to the holiday experience.
Furthermore, the hotel has a kids’ club for children and usually hosts funfilled activities for them. This makes it perfect for a family vacation. Its rooms have all the essentials that guarantee a memorable stay as they are quite spacious and fully equipped with modern amenities such as a hairdryer, full-height fridge, microwave, toaster, tea and coffee making facilities.
- La Montagne Hotel & Spa is 22 kilometres away from King Shaka International Airport.
- A night at its 3 bed-room superior penthouse costs from R7,500 while its 3 bedroom sea view apartment costs from R4,100 per night.
- The Pumpkin Theatre Club at La Montagne Resort offers entertainment of the highest standard with several hours of musical fun.
18. Make a Trip to Tinley Manor Beach
- Location: Headlands, Dolphin Coast, South Africa
- Entrance Fee: No
- Visiting Time: Daylight hours
As one of the best holiday destinations in South Africa, Ballito boasts a handful of beautiful beaches and one of them is Tinley Manor Beach. The amazing venue has nice picnic tables with braais overlooking the Indian Ocean and the calm tidal pool is great for swimming, especially for small children. For couples’ romantic dates, the beach has a close-by restaurant that serves the best Indian cuisines on the North Coast. Exciting outdoor activities carried out on Tinley Manor Beach include stand-up paddling, windsurfing, and fishing.
- Tinley Manor Beach is home to a huge variety of colourful fish. Thus, it is ideal for snorkelling.
- All year round, dolphins are seen in the warm waters of the beach.
19. Let Your Imaginations Run Wild at 22 Jump Street
- Location: Shop 239, Ballito Junction, Leonora Drive, Dolphin Coast Drive, 4399
- Entrance Fee: Yes
- Website: www.22jumpstreet.co.za
- Phone: 032 586 1772; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @22jumpstreet_ballitojunction
- Visiting Time: Monday to Thursday: 9 AM – 9 PM; Friday to Saturday: 9 AM – 10 PM; Sundays: 8 AM – 9 PM; Public Holidays: 8 AM – 10 PM
22 Jump Street offers great fun for everyone as it features amazing entertainment facilities for adults, couples, and children. The indoor entertainment centre guarantees unlimited fun for kids and adults who are looking for something different to do. It has a game zone section, trampoline park, state-of-the-art bumper cars, arcade, foam pits, climbing walls, and Olympic wall jumping. For those who do not feel like going on an adventure, the entertainment centre has a coffee shop on site that offers tasty milkshakes, coffee, and refreshments.
Irrespective of your age, there is so much to be enjoyed at 22 Jump Street located at Ballito Junction Regional Mall. However, children below the age of three are restricted from taking part in the activities. At the venue, visitors are advised to wear grip socks approved by the entertainment centre to help maximise grip and also improve safety and general hygiene. Secured lockers are also provided at the venue.
- 22 Jump Street is the largest indoor entertainment centre in Ballito.
- It offers an adventurous experience to just about anyone of any size and those with physical ability. Nonetheless, the weight limit for any jumper at the venue is 120kg.
- Walk-ins are not allowed at 22 Jump Street. Thus, visitors are required to contact the venue to check availability and make a booking in advance to ensure they can jump when they want.
The price for jump sessions at 22 Jump Street are as follows:
- 3 hours jump – R200
- 2 hours jump – R150
- 1-hour jump – R100
- Kids under 3 years – R75
- Jump socks – R30
20. Have a Superb Wine and Food Pairing Experience at Alchemy Bar
- Location: Unit 55A, Ballito Lifestyle Centre, 398 & 445 Main Rd, Ballito, 4420
- Entrance Fee: No
- Website: www.alchemybar.co.za
- Phone: 032 648 0032; Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: @alchemyballito
- Visiting Time: Monday to Thursday: 2 PM – 10 PM; Friday and Saturday: 11 AM – 11 PM; Sundays: 11 AM – 9 PM
Staying true to its name, at Alchemy bar, you will have an extraordinary experience as you get to quench your thirst with superb cocktails. They offer a wide range of cocktails and craft spirits with amazing snacks. You don’t have to strictly be a gin drinker to enjoy Alchemy Bar as it has great vibes, a great DJ, and good drinks on offer. It is really a fun place to hang out with friends and also for a romantic dinner night for couples. You can enjoy tasty tapas meals at the bar with excellent food pairing service.
Alchemy Bar not only offers exceptional products, but gives a memorable experience as well. A visit to the venue has been the best night out for many couples and groups of friends. Hence, if you happen to be in Ballito, the venue is worth a visit as you will be spoilt for choice with close to 100 gins, unique rums, and brandies. Next door to the bar, is Alchemy Kitchen where you will get to enjoy all-day brunch, as well as tapas-style small plate dishes.
- A subsidiary of Blackstrap Craft Distillery (PTY) Ltd, Alchemy Bar is eco-friendly. At the bar, every drink is offered with a glass straw to help save marine life.
- Alchemy offers a rotating selection of gin and tonics at R35 and then free shooters on weekends.
- The world-class bar has beer specials which are combined with wine deals at Alchemy Kitchen.