It has emerged that the biggest rivals in the world of football have been united by the Syrian Civil war.
While the world is still striving to establish who’s the better footballer between Argentina’s Lionel Messi and Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, the duo exemplified that it’s paramount to unite towards making the world a better place for all human race.
Reports have it that the Barcelona and Real Madrid star joined forces to make emotional appeals concerning the Syrian civil war.
From our gatherings, Messi and Ronaldo shared the emotional messages on their social media pages. While Messi on Facebook, wailed that he’s heartbroken by the Syrian civil war which has been on for six years, Ronaldo on Instagram, reminded the world of the plight of Syrian kids.
Messi in his capacity as a UNICEF ambassador posted on his official Facebook page that “a war a day is too much.”
“The children of Syria have been subjected to violence and cruelty for SIX years in a conflict that holds them hostage… As a father and as a UNICEF’s Ambassador I am heartbroken. Add your voice to UNICEF to demand the end of the war,” begged the Barcelona star.
Obviously heeding to his rival’s plea, the Real Madrid forward utilized his Instagram page to share a message about the need to save Syrian children from the atrocities of the world.
“Today I think of Syrian kids like Omar…who drew his dream of being a barber. #SaveSyriasChildren,” Ronaldo shared.
As culled from the UN refugee agency statistics, below are some fast facts about the Syrian civil war.
- It is estimated that about 470,000 Syrians have been killed since the war started in 2011.
- About 4.9 million Syrians have been compelled to flee the country.
- 6.3 million people are internally displaced in the country.
- 13.5 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance
- Almost 3 million Syrians have grown up knowing nothing but war
- United Nations is seeking $8 billion to provide aid just for this year.