The Western Cape police announced the arrest of a 33-year-old suspected rapist linked to 23 cases of rape on Tuesday in the Epping Industrial area of Cape Town.
The suspected rapist was arrested after an extensive investigation that has lingered for over five years, and was finally identified by the SA Police Service Forensic Laboratory. The rapes which he is a suspect to took place in the Delft and Khayelitsha areas.
The police highlighted the mode of operation of the suspected rapist which he had stuck to over the years.
“The modus operandi that the suspect would follow is to approach his victims and threaten them,” police said.
“He would then rob them of jewellery and money. The victims were between the ages of 18 and 28 years.”
Seven of his victims had been traced so far, while the man is expected to appear in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
Meanwhile as a result of the rumble that sparked off in the community following the incessant attacks, the vigilantes killed the wrong men when community members took the laws into their hands.
The two people were previously questioned and released after the community alleged that they were involved in the attacks but further investigation could not link them to the rapes.
The SA Police condemned this jungle justice that led to the killing of innocent people at the hands of community members who are hungry for blood.
“It is tragic that the community took the law in their own hands and killed them, as well as two more men who were wrongfully accused of having committed rape in the area,” police said.
“It is now proven that all four these deceased were not involved in the crimes as alleged by the community.”