A black man living in Cape Town has raised alarm about the prolonged delay in arresting three white men who attacked him last year.
Reports say that Sonwabile Jakuja was attacked on June 2015 in Cape Town by three unknown assailants in the Table View area. Jakuja however believes that nothing can easily be done for black Cape town residents.
Recounting his ordeal, Jakuja said the bandits initially stopped his car in the early hours of that fateful day. They went on to throw punches on him. He was left unconscious along the road and later spent seven days in ICU. He also confessed he still has severe headaches. That notwithstanding, six months has gone and nothing positive has come out of his case.
“The only thing I tried to do is to pass and then they were swearing, I don’t know what word they were using, each and every word they could and then after that they started driving off,” said Jakuja.
Jakuja however feels that someone might be behind his attack. He also feels that the law is not with him since no arrest has been made.
He said, “The only thing I tried to do is to pass and then they were swearing, I don’t know what word they were using, each and every word they could and then after that they started driving off.
” I thought the law is on my side but in Cape Town the law is not on my side, if you’re a black person nothing will happen.”
Table View Police has however said that the case is still under investigation. This however, has not gone down well with Jakuja, who maintained and believes that arrest should have been made by now since a CCTV footage identified the faces of the perpetrators. The police also said that the camera failed to capture the registration number of the men’s car, which has made investigation more difficult.
It is not out-of-place to say that racial tension has increased in the country lately. So many racial news and stories have taken over the country. With this case surfacing, it is advised that everyone should be cautious in everything.
Earlier this year, The African Congress (ACN) said it has laid a number of charges against some South Africans for allegedly making racist comments on social platforms. The ruling party said it laid the charges at the Hillbrow Police, Johannesburg at 11:00 on Tuesday, 5 January 2016.