Earlier this week, the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (Outa) and the SAA Pilots Association (Saapa) filed a court application for SAA chairperson Dudu Myeni to be declared a delinquent director.
The application, filed on Tuesday, at the high court in Pretoria requested the court to declare Myeni a “delinquent director” for breaching SAA’s internal whistleblowing system.
While facing Outa’s bid to have Myeni declared a delinquent director, it emerged that the South African Airways spent millions of rand investigating misconducts by senior officers and that Myeni authored some of the investigations.
Mail and Guardian reported that Myeni’s former colleague and confidant Yakhe Kwinana, a chartered accountant, confirmed that Myeni had anonymously submitted a complaint when she accompanied her to an internet café on at least an occasion.
“…I raised red flags about this because it was an abuse of power. I told her she was in a position of power and that she could have appointed a task team to investigate those matters.
She would write the whistleblower report and then pretend it comes from outside. She told me people wouldn’t believe if it came from her,” said Kwinana.
Reports have it that former chief executive Monwabisi Kalawe and Sylvain Bosc were suspended as a result of the tip-offs.
Also, the court papers seeking for her to be declared delinquent reportedly detailed how Myeni allegedly lied about the SAA board’s involvement in the airbus swap deal and ditched the advice of board members in various agreements to the detriment of SAA’s wellbeing.
The Outa also alleged that during Myeni’s tenure as chairperson, SAA lost an estimated R10.5-billion over a period of five years, despite that fact that SAA was profitable between 2010 and 2012.
The complaint also contained an allegation that Myeni spoilt an R2 billion strategic partnership deal between SAA and Emirates because “uBaba” — President Jacob Zuma — kicked against the deal.
Myeni would be in for big trouble if the court favours Outa and Saapa’s application – anyway, that is if they can be able to validate their claims.
That notwithstanding, if the application thrives, Myeni, who is the chairperson of the SAA, could be disqualified from occupying any directorship or executive position in any organisation in South Africa for at least 7 years.
Meanwhile, the ANC Women’s League (ANCWL) on Friday, threw its weight behind the embattled SAA chairperson.
The league said in a statement that the move to declare her delinquent is apparently an attempt to halt “transformation” in SAA.
“The holding at a ransom of radical socio-economic economic transformation agenda at SAA cannot be tolerated any further.
Anyone who wants to resign or go to court must do so, but that should not stop any Board member or Executive of SAA to advance transformation.
South Africans, in particular, black people are tired of delaying tactics by some whites who want to divert any government programmes of radical transformation. This unity and peace olive branch might not be extended any further,” the league added.
The league urged her critics to hands off the chairperson who has been fighting against white monopoly in the sector.
Myeni, who is also the executive chairperson of the Jacob G Zuma Foundation, has been SAA chairperson since 2015.