Check Out South Africa’s Wonderful Donation To Aleppo Victims

Advertisement

The South African NGO Operation SA, on Wednesday, announced that an estimated R10 million has been pledged by South Africans in support of crisis-torn Aleppo victims and other affected areas in Syria.

For the past four years, Aleppo town has been waging war against the Syrian army and its allies, who had occupied much of the Old City surrounding the fortress.

Read Also: Assassination of Russian Ambassador, Zuma Vows to Fight Terrorism

Commenting on the development, Operation SA’ spokesman Yaseen Theba, said the R10m will be shared among the seven local humanitarian institutions in Syria.

He revealed that the Polokwane Muslim Trust Welfare Fund made the highest single donation. The Trust reportedly donated a whopping R2 million to Syria.

“We collected approximately R10 million and donations continue to come in. We hope to get the funds to the NGOs we’ve partnered with as soon as possible to help the people in distress.”



Aleppo, which was once listed by the United Nations as a World Heritage Site, had been controlled by Hittites, Assyrians, Arabs, Mongols, Mamluks and Ottomans. The ancient city’s architectural styles also speak volume about these conquerors.

Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkish foreign minister, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday that 37,500 evacuees have so far left the war-torn Syrian city. Cavusoglu added that the remaining evacuees would likely leave the city by Wednesday.

Reports had it that about 43 sick people were medically evacuated from east Aleppo on Monday, bringing the total to 301 since last Thursday.

See Also: Must Read: Mbeki Sends A Fresh Warning Letter To President Zuma

On Tuesday, UN spokesperson Jens Laerke said the UN has received a nod from the Syrian government to dispatch an additional 20 expatriate staff to east Aleppo, where they will monitor the ongoing evacuation of the remaining evacuees.

The UN staff, already in its Damascus office, will travel to Aleppo “as soon as possible”, Laerke said.