Joburg’s mayor, Parks Tau had on Tuesday said the chaos caused by the ongoing Pikitup workers’ strike would no longer be tolerated.
Speaking at a media briefing, the tau said it was unfortunate that disciplinary action are yet to be taken against workers like the PickItUp (sic) who had “ignored two court interdicts and ultimatums” to return to work
Pointing out that the disciplinary committee was committed to negotiations between the city and union officials‚ the mayor stressed that the vandalism and intimidation of recent weeks cannot be allowed to continue.
Tau further said that Law enforcement agencies would be escorting stand-in trash collectors and that strikers arrested over the weekend would face charges including malicious damage to property‚ assault and attempted murder.
The mayor also said that contingency plans which include a 24-hour hotline for residents to call about uncollected waste in their area, would continue this week.
Pikitup said on Monday that its three days of disciplinary hearings will also have ‘charges leveled at those who have provoked the illegal strike and individuals who have been responsible for intimidation’.
The management however, welcomes the city’s call to the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) to resume engagement with Pikitup to ensure that the terms set out in the politically facilitated agreement are carried out”.
Meanwhile, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) had on Tuesday charged Johannesburg residents not to pay for municipal services in a bid to sympathize with striking Pikitup workers.
The party’s Johannesburg region who claimed to be convinced that the city could afford to pay as high as R6000 per month to the striking PickItUp (sic), said allowing the strike to reach four weeks, has left the city filthy and disgusting.
The party laid their claim on the contingency plan which included law enforcement agencies being deployed to protect stand-in garbage collectors and a 24-hour hotline for residents.
“We are convinced the city can afford salaries of R6000 a month as demanded by the workers‚ considering that R1-million a day (R28-million so far) is paid to facilitate the corrupt ‘contingency plan‚” The regional secretary Silumko Khethokuhle Mabona said.
Mabona further stated that it was a deliberate act by the city government to allow the strike to last this long and that residents should rally round behind the workers demands‚ whom most earn less than R4000 a month.
“In our view this strike is being dragged deliberately to serve as a boomerang funding mechanism for the cash-strapped ANC in Johannesburg‚”
“Residents of Joburg should exercise their power by not paying for services not rendered‚ because if we pay we would be indirectly funding this ANC corruption.”