Gauteng Human Settlements Department MEC, Paul Mashatile, says over 5000 houses will be built for Sicelo residents in the next five years.
According to the MEC, government has bought three new farms designated for this development.
Mashatile made this known on Wednesday during a visit to Sicelo informal settlement.
Currently, Sicelo informal settlement is a banner of deep poverty and joblessness. The area has no electricity and also lacks proper sanitation.
Violence erupted in the area last week after aggrieved residents marched against poor service delivery in the area.
The protesters were caught pelting passing cars with stones.
They also demanded that Mayor Bongani Baloyi address them personally on issues including water, sanitation and housing.
Paul Mashatile Blames DA
Speaking, Mashatile blamed the DA run municipality for performing so low and stalling development.
He also accused the opposition party of dragging its feet on approving vital plans that would step up service delivery in the area.
“It is important that the Councillor must co-operate with the province because if they do not do that, we are unable to build houses.
we are unable to buy land because a lot of land is with private developers,” MEC Paul Mashatile disclosed.
In a counter-statement, Midvaal Mayor, Bongani Baloyi, alleged that Mashatile’s assertions were wrong because several vital plans were approved but that the ANC ended up building only 135 houses.
Throwing his weight behind Baloyi, Deputy Mayor Dennis Ryder alleged the protests were about politics and not service delivery.
“The timing of it clearly indicate it’s political. We have evidence that there has been interference with the supply and the community has become frustrated,” he said.
While the visit lasted, residents in Sicelo bitterly explained their plight to the MEC.
Many complained about their ramshackle houses and dilapidated structures that often leak when it rains.