National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Executives, Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi have had their names struck off the roll of advocates.
The pairs’ names were removed following application that the General Council of the Bar brought against them which Judge Francis Legodi has ruled in their favour.
Jiba is the Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions while Mrwebi is the head of the Specialized Commercial Crime unit.
The General Council of the Bar applied to the High Court in Pretoria last year, to have Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi struck from the roll following for how they handled three highly political cases.
These included the NPA’s decision to drop corruption charges against the former head of the crime intelligence division‚ Richard Mdluli.
Jiba was also charged for authorizing a racketeering charge against former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen.
Delivering his judgment at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria‚ Legodi found against the GCB on Sibongile Mzinyathi- NPA’s North Gauteng director- a third respondent in the application.
Judgment was reserved on June 1‚ 2016 and Legodi said the court apologized for handing it down more than three months later.
“Unfortunately‚ it turned out to be a long judgment‚” said Legodi.
In his judgment‚ Legodi said: “The application against Jiba and Mrwebi with regard to their handling of Mdluli’s case is hereby granted….
“The names of Ms Nomgcobo Jiba and Mr Lawrence Sithembiso Mrwebi are hereby struck off the roll,” he said, as he ordered them to pay costs of the application‚ including the costs of two counsel.
Unfortunately, Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi could lose their jobs at the NPA as a result‚ as their positions require them to possess legal qualifications.
SA constitutional law scholar, Pierre de Vos took to the twitter handle to confirm the removal of the names of the tow via twitter as he highlighted the “MUST HAVE” qualifications for the post of National Director or Deputy National Director.
Jiba no longer qualifies to be the Deputy National Director of NPA after today’s judgement. pic.twitter.com/2oNmeqqO6F
— Pierre de Vos (@pierredevos) September 15, 2016