ZANU PF (Zimbabwe African National Union- Patriotic Front) is a Zimbabwean Political party and has been the ruling party in Zimbabwe since its independence in 1980.
Robert Mugabe, who is the current president of Zimbabwe; has been the president of the ZANU PF since 1988. The party came into existence from the successful merger of the ZANU (Zimbabwe African National Union) and the ZAPU (Zimbabwe African People’s Union).
The ZANU was a militant organization that fought against white minority government and won the 1980 elections under the leadership of Robert Mugabe.
ZANU was formed on the 8th of August 1963; when Ndabaningi Sithole, Henry Hamadziripi, Mukudzei Midzi, Herbert Chitepo, Edgar Tekere and Leopold Takawira decided to split from the ZAPU at the house of the former Defence Minister ‘Enos Nkala in Highfield.
The ZAPU is a Zimbabwean political party, which used to be a militant organisation that fought for the national liberation of Zimbabwe. The ZAPU was founded on the 17th of December 1961 and merged with the ZANU in 1987. The merger came about after the ZAPU lost the 1980 elections under the ‘Patriotic Front’ to the ZANU.
Unity Accord Between ZANU & ZAPU
The Unity Accord signed by the ZANU and ZAPU stated:
- That ZANU – PF and PF ZAPU have irrevocably committed themselves to unite under one political party.
- That the unity of the two political parties; shall be achieved under the name Zimbabwe African National Union (Patriotic Front) in short ZANU – PF.
- That Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe shall be the First Secretary and President of ZANU PF.
- That ZANU PF shall have two Second Secretaries and Vice-Presidents who shall be appointed by the First Secretary and President of the Party.
- That ZANU PF shall seek to establish a socialist society in Zimbabwe on the guidance of Marxism–Leninism principles.
- That ZANU PF shall seek to establish a One Party State in Zimbabwe.
- That the leadership of ZANU – PF shall abide by the Leadership Code.
- That the existing structures of ZANU – PF and PF ZAPU shall be merged in accordance with the letter and spirit of this Agreement.
- That both parties shall, in the interim, take immediate vigorous steps to eliminate and end the insecurity and violence prevalent in Matabeleland.
- That ZANU – PF and PF ZAPU shall convene their respective Congress to give effect to this Agreement within the shortest possible time.
- That, in the interim, Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe is vested with full powers to prepare for the implementation of this Agreement and to act in the name and authority of ZANU – PF.
Withdrawal From The Unity Accord
In 2008, under the influence of Benny Ncube and Dumiso Dabengwa; there was a decision to dissolve the alliance of the ZAPU with the ZANU-PF and it was decided:
- That the political structure of ZAPU cease to operate under the title ZANU – PF and to resume the title ZAPU.
- That all party structures operate under the authority of the Constitution of ZAPU.
- That the District Councils should meet to prepare for and convene a Consultative Conference consisting of the ten Provinces by December 2008, for the purpose of electing an Interim Executive charged with the responsibility to mobilise and restructure the party and convene the party Congress by March 2009, in terms of Article 6 of the constitution of ZAPU.
- That a campaign to mobilise resources in the country, from well-wishers everywhere, from fraternal political parties and International Organisations be undertaken forthwith.
- To engage as necessary in the negotiations and peace building initiatives to emeliorate the political and economic hardships presently being endured by the people of Zimbabwe.
- To convene a consultative Conference consisting of all the ten political Provinces by December 2008 for the purpose of electing an Interim Executive, charged to mobilise and restructure the party and convene the Party’s Congress by March 2009, in terms of Article 6 of the Constitution of ZAPU.
- THIS IS DONE AND AGREED TO by us the delegates to the Consultative Meeting at Stanley Square, Bulawayo on 8 November 2008.
About The ZANU PF
The ZANU PF is a liberation movement which thrives on and cherishes National Unity which has created the sound condition of Peace and Security which Zimbabwe has enjoyed and a rare gift many countries dream of.
Is driven by its Democratic African Values where the leadership is accountable to the membership which elected it, hence the holding of District Conferences, the Annual People’s Conference and the National People’s Congress.
Aims and Objectives of the ZANU PF
- To establish and sustain a society that cherishes African Values and to create conditions for economic independence, prosperity and equitable distribution of wealth of the nation.
- To preserve and defend the National Sovereignty and Independence of Zimbabwe.
- To Uphold and apply fully the rule of Law, Equality before the law and Equality of opportunities for all people in Zimbabwe, regardless of race, tribe sex, religion or origin.
- Continue to participate in the worldwide struggle for the complete eradication of imperialism, colonialism and all forms of racism.
- To support and promote all effects for the attainment of the Pan African goal for the complete independence and unity of African states.
- To oppose resolutely, tribalism, regionalism and forms of exploitation of man by man.