Hlaudi’s Salary: DA Says Motsoeneng Must Be Dismissed For Earning R350,000 Monthly Doing Nothing

Advertisement

Let he who does not work never receive pay, alludes the Democratic Alliance, calling for an immediate dismissal of SABC former Chief operating Officer, Hlaudi Motsoeneng who earns R350,000 while he’s still suspended.

Hlaudi was suspended last year following several controversies which include his appointment at the broadcasting firm and his controversial 90% local content he introduced which have been argued to be the main cause of the broadcaster’s financial downfall.

The High Court in the Western Cape has ruled that Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s appointment was both unlawful and unconstitutional thus placing him on suspension pending the outcome of new disciplinary proceedings into his fitness to hold office and a judicial review of the Public Protector’s report.

Read Also: Embattled Hlaudi Is Confident That SA Loves Him No Matter What

Meanwhile Hlaudi who is yet to be called back by the disciplinary committee, bragged to the public on Wednesday, during his press briefing on the state of the SABC, about being paid while serving suspension but failed to divulge how much he is being paid.

The Democratic Alliance confirmed this stating that the self-proclaimed South African Hero earns R350, 000 every month from the SABC while he sits at home doing nothing.

The DA also lashed-out at Hlaudi’s effrontery to stage a media briefing on the State of the SABC while he is on suspension. It said Hlaudi has breached the SABC Code of Conduct by arranging such a briefing.

“While Motsoeneng is entitled to address the media as a private individual, he has no mandate to speak on behalf of the SABC and should in fact currently be in the middle of a disciplinary inquiry against him,” said the DA.

“Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s press conference today to address issues facing the SABC is grounds for him to be immediately fired from the public broadcaster as he has breached the SABC Code of Conduct,” added the DA shadow minister of communications Phumzile Van Damme



Van Damme went on to call on the interim board at the SABC to terminate his employment, “and rid the SABC of the man responsible for the deep institutional rot at the public broadcaster”.

She said though the Western Cape High Court ordered that Motsoeneng cannot hold a position at the SABC, pending the conclusion of disciplinary proceedings and/or the Public Protector’s report being set aside, it did not dismiss him from the public broadcaster.

“He, therefore, remains an employee without portfolio and draws a salary of R350,000 a month for sitting at home,” she said pointing out that the Motsoeneng was still bound by SABC Code of Conduct and various rules and regulations while awaiting his disciplinary hearing.

The party said the SABC’s disciplinary code lists misconduct as grounds for summary dismissal if an employee of the public broadcaster deliberately causes negative reporting of SABC affairs in the media.

Meanwhile, Motsoeneng did not only took used his arranged Press briefing on the State of the SABC  to lash out on his detractors, he also used it to praise himself claiming he has the mandate of changing things in the country .

“This is my press conference. I do not need permission to talk. I called this as a citizen. I have a responsibility as former COO,” Motsoeneng told the media.

Read Also: ANCYL Lobbies ANC To Make Hlaudi A Minister

He also criticized those pointing fingers at the 90% local content he introduced last year as the main course of the broadcaster’s financial woes, he said the local content was for the benefit of the blacks who have been sidelined by White monopolists.

“We all need to be African so when the world comes down here, they would feel it,” he said at the state of the SABC briefing, adding that he gave many black South Africans job in the SABC during his time

Topics: