With all the vibes of the festive season, you might just have missed Proteas wicket keeper-batsman Quinton de Kock being named the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year.
Yes, De Kock was crowned the ICC ODI Cricketer of 2016.
Already, his name is on record as the second South African player to bag the prestigious award. AB de Villiers won it in 2010, 2014 and 2015.
As the ninth overall players to take the Cricketer of the Year crown, De Kock during the voting period, scored 793 runs in 16 ODIs with four centuries and a half-century.
Also, he averaged over 56 and held a strike-rate of just under 98. Again, he shined during his moment with the gloves and dismissed 15 batsmen behind the wickets.
Commenting a delighted De Kock said:
“It’s great to hear that I’ve been named as the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year. To be named as the best from among so many good cricketers gives one utmost satisfaction.
This award obviously rewards consistent performances at the top level and I’m happy to have done well for my team over this period.
To join a select group of players that include my senior AB de Villiers makes this a special moment, one that I’ll cherish for long. I thank the ICC for selecting me for this award and to my team-members and support staff for all their help and support.”
Meanwhile, De Kock isn’t the only South African player that earned prestigious recognition. He, Kagiso Rabada and AB de Villiers were named in the ICC ODI Team of 2016.
While Leg-spinner Imran Tahir was named as 12th man, Dale Steyn was named for the eighth time in nine years among the ICC Test Team of the Year.
However, the big ICC winner for 2016 was Ravichandran Ashwin.
The Indian international cricketer became the third India player and 12th player overall to win the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy following his naming as the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016.
Below is the full list of ICC Award 2016 winners:
- ICC Cricketer of the Year (Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy) – Ravichandran Ashwin (India)
- ICC Test Cricketer of the Year – Ravichandran Ashwin (India)
- ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year – Quinton de Kock (South Africa)
- ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Suzie Bates (New Zealand)
- ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year – Suzie Bates (New Zealand)
- ICC T20I Performance of the Year – Carlos Brathwaite (West Indies )
- ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh)
- ICC Associate/Affiliate Cricketer of the Year – Mohammad Shahzad (Afghanistan)
- ICC Spirit of Cricket Award – Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
- ICC Umpire of the Year (David Shepherd Trophy) – Marais Erasmus