Gauteng Officials To Be Criminally Charged For Tender Irregularities


The game is finally up for some Gauteng officials, who were part of the team that wrongly awarded contracts to four companies. The provincial health department stated that the four Gauteng officials would be charged for their roles in the contract.

However, the chairperson of the Bid Evaluation Committee in the province would bear the heavier cross as he will be criminally charged for allegedly awarding security contract worth R32 wrongly.

Confirming the development, the provincial health department said in a statement,

“The Gauteng Department of Health investigation into alleged wrongful awarding of R32-million security contracts has recommended that criminal charges be instituted against the chairperson…”

Read Also: Kodwa Accuses Rupert Of Funding The DA; Calls Him An Arrogant White-Monopoly Capitalist

It was also recommended that four officials who were part of the BEC be charged departmentally for their role in the said process,” the statement added.

Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu revealed the decision in a written reply to questions in the Gauteng legislature. However, the MEC failed to disclosed the names of the Gauteng officials.

 Mahlangu added that “legal process was underway to terminate the contract of the four companies that were irregularly appointed.”

The Health MEC enumerated the four companies. They include, Might Women Investments (R6m), Skets Projects (R7m), Mjayeli Security (R9m) and Bokone Bokone Guarding (R10m).

Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance, on Wednesday expressed disappointment that the four companies who had been irregularly awarded contracts by the Gauteng Health Department were yet to be “criminally charged…and money recovered from them.”

Read Also: ANC Wants DA To Leave Zuma Alone

The opposition party member Jack Bloom made this known after Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu revealed to him that “security contracts for Gauteng state hospitals and clinics worth R32-million were awarded irregularly and have been terminated”.

According to DA’s Bloom “the two-year contracts were cancelled after more than a year‚ so more than R16-million was paid to them and should be reclaimed”.

However, Health MEC Mahlangu asserted that “losses were limited as the service providers amicably stopped providing services”

Having being greatly dismayed, Bloom said that he would “ask further questions about the fishy circumstances behind the…department’s R265-million award of hospital security contracts in September 2014”.

“It seems that they were grossly over-priced and that corruption was widespread in the award of these contracts‚” he said.

Like BuzzSouthAfrica: