ANN7 And The New Age To Apologize To ANC


ANN7 And The New Age will publish and broadcast apology to the ruling party. The African National Congress confirmed that the Gupta-owned media agreed to publish and broadcast apology to the party following reports published by the print and television organizations.

The ruling party revealed this on Wednesday after meeting with representatives of the ANN7 and The New Age on Tuesday night.

See also: Former ANC Commanders Urgently Want ANC To Elect A New Leader

The meeting was scheduled after the National Executive Council expressed deep concern about reports published by the media organizations after covering  ANC NEC meeting over the weekend.

Speaking more about the issue, ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement. “The meeting noted that while both The New Age and ANN7 stand by their stories, both media organisations acknowledged certain errors in their reporting.”

“Consequently, The New Age and ANN7 have agreed to publish and broadcast an apology on Thursday March 24 2016.”

Kodwa added that both parties resolved to take their discussion forward in a way that would “encourage a dynamic and respectful relationship”.

We will recall that the ANC leadership expressed utmost dismay following reports by the media organizations. The ANC opined that the Gupta print and television organizations “characterised the ANC as a group of factions for and against President [Jacob] Zuma.”

Thereafter, the party labelled the media’s coverage a “reckless journalism”.

The organizations had published reports about an alleged plot by senior ANC members to topple President Jacob Zuma. The media alleged that there were two factions in the party, one involving the “generals” and the other called “the rebels”.

It is pertinent to note that the media’s assertions emerged after reports surfaced last week that the Gupta family were offering Cabinet positions to ANC officials.

ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, who felt bad about the report told reporters on Sunday that “The NEC expressed its utmost disgust at the arrogance, disrespect and reckless journalism displayed by the New Age newspaper [March 18-19], ANN7 news channel [March 16-18] and representatives of the Gupta family.”

Meanwhile, The New Age managing editor Gary Naidoo had earlier refused to comment further about the meeting as he deemed it “inappropriate to comment further” until the ANC NEC had released its findings.

Also, the affluent Gupta family had earlier promised to co-operate with the ANC NEC whenever the meeting kicks off. Speaking via a statement issued by one of the family’s business company, Oakbay Investments, the family said,

“The Gupta family welcomes the decision of the ANC to investigate the alleged capture of the state by any business entities.”

“We welcome this process which should ultimately allow the truth to be recognised and end this current trial by innuendo and slander. We will fully co-operate with the office of the secretary general during the information gathering process.”

Read also: Banking Association Happy With ANC NEC’s Reaffirmation Of Confidence In Gordhan

Like BuzzSouthAfrica: