Following deadline given by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) for parties to submit list of participating candidate in the August 3 election, leaders of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) are in a rush to correct the damages caused by various disputed list conferences where certain party members were irregularly nominated as ward candidates for the local government elections.
Political parties and independent candidates contesting the 3 August local government elections have until next week to submit lists of candidates for wards and district councils to the Independent Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) but the ANC seems not to be ready with their list as the party’s appeal committee have received numerous complaints ahead of the national list conference this weekend.
Part of the issues the party have to address is the allegation that most of the candidates were hand-picked in several branches across the country due to their relationship with senior provincial leaders,
More so, that members of the ANC’s tripartite alliance in the SACP, Cosatu and the South African National Civic Association were excluded from the lists. This is said to have generated lots of in-house fights and violence in most provinces like Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, North West and Limpopo.
Kwazulu dispute for instance, degenerated to killings while in Gauteng, the ANC has admitted to having had candidate lists-related problems in Tshwane and Ekurhuleni, which, according to the party, were amicably resolved last week.
In Northern Cape, the appeals committee discovered that the nomination of ANC Councillors-elect in Kimberley was rigged and deliberately manipulated.
The party committee were on Wednesday, busy accessing and confirming names of party candidates in a meeting at Luthuli House in Joburg
The final list from Gauteng and Limpopo were supposed to be reaching the committee by Wednesday while other provinces were due to submit theirs before the national list conference resumes On Thursday.
However, the ANC’s secretary General Mantashe maintained that there won’t be any further appeals, despite having previously ordered reruns of list conferences, where the party’s appeals committee found there was deliberate manipulation of the process.
“Actually, we are in stage five. We are done with the appeals now, there is no appeal beyond here,” he said at a media briefing on Wednesday.
“We are the national list committee, and what we do will be finalised in the national list conference.” he said, adding that political killings should be seen as criminal acts.
Mantashe further revealed that the ANC had decided to announce its mayoral candidates ahead of the elections though he would not say exactly when this would happen. However, he said only the mayoral candidates for the metros and district municipalities would be announced.
This year’s local government elections would be crucial for ANC as it would see a fight for its major metros like Joburg, Tshwane, Ekurhuleni, and Nelson Mandela Bay, especially as opposition parties have made their intentions clear to wrest these metros from them.